Antivirus XP 2008, I can't get rid of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

krnstarrz

So somehow ANTIVIRUS XP 2008 got downloaded onto my computer and there is NO way I can get rid of it! First of all, I can't even access the sites to download Rogue Remover or any other anti-spyware sort of site. SECOND, I had someone download rogue remover and send it to me, but the scan won't even work! THEN, I've tried removing it manually, but the files they are telling me to delete aren't even there!

PLEASE can someone help me?!

I had just removed this virus from my computer...but i was able to get on the interent so im not sure why you cant. You need to download a program called MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (the freeware, you dont have to buy a pro version or anything for this work)
You can get the link here:http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

Not sure how good that link will do you if you cant get on the net so i suggest you get the download file from another computer and either mail it or use a flash drive to get the file on your infected computer. Run the file and then run the scan. Let it sit and scan the computer. When it is done it is going to save a log (you can view it aswell). Then you will be able to delete all the files.

Reboot and your Antivirus XP 2008 is gone! Its funny because i just deleted this from my other PC a few days ago. Its Malware and im not sure how it got on my PC, but its gone now! Good luck it was easier than i thought.

When running the remover also make sure you run the scan in safe mode.

Here's how if you don't know:
* If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
* Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
* Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
* Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
* Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
* When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Okay, I tried downloading the Malware thing but my computer kept saying that the file was corrupted and wouldn't let me download it

Also, I think I got rid of the Antivirus XP, but now my computer freezes in the startup and is REALLY slow. More help on just clearing the entire computer?

Why won't these anti-spyware things work right now?

Oh and I've tried all the other spyware programs and my computer says on all of them that they're corrupt. Plus I think my firefox is messed up because everytime I click on a link, it directs me to different websites :( UGH HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You can open up task manager and manually kill off the stuff you think is screwy. Then you should have more luck actually getting things done. Look in your Program Files directory for anything weird, delete that, and take the items out of Startup in your msconfig. Then on reboot you'll still be messed up, but most or all of the bad things won't actually be running anymore.

I removed this from my dad's computer, it was sort of a mess but I got things straightened out. I'm sure there is a more efficient way than the way I did it, so I'm going to move this thread to the proper forum for this type of issue. That way it won't get lost in the swarm of general Windows problems.

If nobody helps you right away and you are desperate, this is one of the things I used after I manually removed everything I could find related to that (after some googling for hints).
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Look in your Program Files directory for anything weird, delete that

how do I know if something is weird? I'm really worried that I would delete something that I actually need and my computer would break down

Even if all the bad things are gone, how do I fix it when the reboot is screwed up?

The one I worked on had some folder with a bunch of letters and numbers in seemingly random order. Then inside that I saw some stuff that didn't look right. You really can't screw up anything by deleting stuff in program files if you have access to installing those files again.

Still if you don't feel comfortable, wait for someone to reply, or try the stickies at the top of this subforum. There are a few guys here that handle 98% of these types of issues and I don't want to give advice that doesn't fit in with their more standardized procedures.

The one I worked on had some folder with a bunch of letters and numbers in seemingly random order. Then inside that I saw some stuff that didn't look right.

You will also see those same random letters and numbers in msconfig so remove that from the start up list.

If someone else that deals with these issues more than me comes along, disregard the following and do what they say.

Open up Task Manager, end process on anything you don't think should be running. If there is any antivirus things running at all, I'd end them, at this point whatever you are using has been comprimised, so turning it off at least temporarly shouldn't make things any worse. Google some of the items if you are unsure. Basically we need to stop what is running so it doesn't continue to cause problems when you are trying to do other things.

Look through your Program Files directory, anything that has weird looking names in there (it will be a directory) open it up and further investigate, if you still don't see anything you recognise then delete the whole directory. If the exe's don't exist, then they can't launch on startup. Fortunately this doesn't seem to be all that complex of a virus/trojan/whatever, because I think the more complex ones wouldn't allow you to just simply delete their exes. There will also be a dll or 2 associated with them in the Windows/System32 directory I believe. You are probably better off googling for what one that is because I can't remember off the top of my head. I'd go ahead and delete that too, but at this point its probably not a HUGE deal, our first goal should be to get rid of those executables that launch on startup.

Start -> Run -> msconfig go to the startup tab, and disable some things in there you don't think are right. Again you may have to google, but you should have a general feel for what is out of place.

At this point, you can reboot, because you've disabled them in msconfig and hopefully deleted the main exes involved. Then I'd run that combo fix thing, you need to do that in safe mode I believe. Read those instructions on that page I linked above though because I don't remember the specifics. Follow those perfectly.

That should take care of almost everything. Then I'd run eset's online virus scanner (like housecall, but better). Then after that, some of the stickies in this subforum mention a couple malware scanners. Get them and run those too. After a couple runs of them, and the eset scanner, and then maybe something like spybot or adaware you should be all set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back