Any way to Speed up a Dial-up Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithjr1981

A friend of mine asked me if I knew any way to speed up his dial up connection...he is running on an old gateway pc...pentium 3 with windows 2000 professional, as this is all he can afford because he collects social security. I don't know if there is any program that can do this or if there is something you can do to your modem settings. This website has been a major help in the past with issues that myself and friends have had with our computers, so I came to ask anyone on here to help please. It is greatly Appreciated!!:D

Thank You SNGX1275...but that opera 10 seems to be a browser...i'm looking for something that would speed up the connection in general..if there's anything that would do it....He wants to run programs that would rely on the connection speed in general....He already runs some, but they seem to be going a lil slow. Any other suggestions??

Well Opera 10 Turbo has server side compression, so at the expense of picture quality webpages load up faster because they download less data. You can also get a custom urlfilter.ini to prevent ads from being loaded up. Or really any ad blocking method for other browsers too would work if you don't like the Opera 10 Turbo idea.

As far as pure bandwidth speeding up, you can't really, you can just minimize what is downloaded when loading webpages.

Hi smithjr1981

The problem that your friend has it that web pages these days are not designed to facilitate a dial-up connection. In the past when streaming etc was unavailable or just starting out, a dial-up connection was sufficient. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about the speed of the connection .. but like SNGX1275 suggested, you could minimise the amount of data sent/received.

Spyder_1386 :)

adjust the MTU to 576 (if I recall the number correctly).

a smaller MTU will send many more packets (so also set SACKOPTS)
but it is better to send 99% correctly w/o retry than to attempt large packets which
fail 30-40% of the time and need retry.

Dial-up is inherently 'noisy' and will cause retry more often than any other media.

dial up technology is long past it's prime and there are few tweeks you can do. Almost all software tweeks are crap (especially if browser related.) You can download and try TC/IP optimizer. dial is also analog and heavily dependent on audio quality of the line.

low bandwidth broadband is available .... DSL costs about the same as dialup. I switched out my fathers dial up for DSL because it was about the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back