Apollo Imation 500GB 2.5" HDD is not detected. Usual fixes not applicable

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I plugged in the HD in a desktop and transferred somefiles.
2. The said HD could not be detected on my laptop.
3. HD could no longer be detected on previously mentioned desktop.
4. HD also not detected on other desktops or laptops.

Right, so I've tried the Disk Management Fix but I can't find my HD, even when plugged, the light is on but it isn't detected. No signs whatsoever that it still exists.

I've tried scanning my laptop for Malwares but nothing there, so I'm assuming that

a. No virus/malware
b. Virus/malware came from desktop in #1

So I need help on how to access my HD.

OS Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit

Also

http://www.imation.com/en-us/Imatio...ernal-Hard-Drives/Apollo-Portable-Hard-Drive/

Sounds like the the unit is not supported by Windows 7. Do you have old XP laptop or desktop around. You could try to connect to one of those and see if it works. If so then it's a problem for your Windows 7 OS could have a corrupt USB drivers. That could be fix by uninstalling the USB drivers under Windows 7 then you would reboot and Windows 7 would rebuild the drivers for USB. First I would see if the drive can work with XP if it can. Then do the above. If it can't contact the support for the drive and see if they have a fix or they can give you a replacement if your still covered?

Before plugging it in the desktop @ #1 it worked fine with Windows 7. I've tried it on XP, Vista and 7 and it still won't work.

Haven't tried contacting the support for the drive yet tho.

When a USB drive is connected to a Windows computer, Windows should
> First detect the hardware and recognize it as a USB Mass Storage device
> Install a USB Mass Storage driver for it (under USB category in Device Manager)
> It next recognizes it as a disk storage device (vs. for example, a USB CD/DVD mass storage device)
> It installs a disk driver under Disk category for the drive (and then it gets mapped to and appears in Disk Management)

So open Device Manager then plug the device in. Do you see a USB mass storage driver appear under USB? If not, there's a problem with hardware / device detection. Let us know

/* edit */
Likewise let us know if you see any devices in Dev Mgr listed as Other or Unknown

/* edit2 */
btw.. Are you at least hearing the USB ding-dong when you connect the device?

^
After I reformatted it worked great, all four steps worked. But then I plugged it into that desktop and thats when everything went to hell.

No mass storage under USB, not since the said incident.

Do you hear the USB ding-dong upon connection?

Best to my knowledge you should always be seeing a USB Mass Storage driver appear for any USB CD/DVD or disk drive (You can test any other working device and you should see it appear)

So it could be a matter of failure simply at the time you plugged it in to the desktop

That said, i also see this a USB device which doesn't have an A/C adapter. So it relies on the USB port for its power and sometimes the USB port supplied power is simply not enough. Though the fact it no longer works on any computer is not a good sign :(

I'd advise plugging into each computer and see if
> You hear the USB ding dong?
> Do you see any change in Dev Mgr (i.e. a USB Mass Storage driver or Unknow device get listed?)

/* edit */
btw.. Have you also tried a different USB cable?

No dingy dongs, and still no changes.

Ehrm, what could have made it malfunction? The desktop I mentioned seems to have viruses, that I can't fix because of silly admin settings.

Hmmm.. If you don't even the hear the ding-dong on any computer is also a bad sign :(

A virus might affect the desktop itself but i don't believe could cause the USB drive to fail device recognition on all your computers (as the Plug and Play device recognition steps are handled by the USB drive's hardware and firmware)

Since the problem occurs on multiple computer my best guess:
> The drive enclosure has failed (you could try putting the HD in another enclosure but since you just reformatted you probably have no data to rescue so might be easiest to just buy a new one) OR

> I've also seen this occur (often on WD passports) when the drive starts wanting more power then a USB port will provide. You can buy a USB hub that delivers 1000mA power (vs. the standard 500mA) or there are special USB Y-cables that plug into 2 computer ports to deliver twice the power of a normal USB cable

Excuse the double post, but to make sure you see this: Did you also try using a different USB cable? Try connecting to different ports on the different computers?

I see, I was worried that it was malware.

Well, the files from the previous OS are on the External HDD, and I kinda need em.

I was told about the enclosure, ehrm would it screw up my warranty if I did that?

Tried all four ports and three different cables. And I have one of those Y cables.. Still won't work.

I was told about the enclosure, ehrm would it screw up my warranty if I did that?
Probably. I'd at least wait and talk to support before you try opening to see how they would handle warranty issues yet still allow you to try data recovery. (p.s and i'd get something in writing or email or confirmation # after they said they it was OK to still CYA ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back