App with Retina graphics shows up in Mac App Store ahead of WWDC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Those looking for more evidence that Apple is planning to update their Mac notebooks need to look no further than the Mac App Store. Astute users have noticed that a Mac App Store tool called FolderWatch was updated today to include support for what the developer calls Retina graphics.

Apple is reportedly planning to update their 15-inch MacBook Pro as well as the 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Air systems at WWDC next week. All of the systems are expected to get the Retina display treatment as per previous reports.

retina-ready apple mac app store wwdc retina display worldwide developer conference

In April, Intel said that Retina-quality displays were coming to notebooks and desktops as early as next year. While this doesn’t specifically apply to Apple’s Mac line, it’s an indication of where they think the market is heading in general.

More specific hints about the MacBook line surfaced last month when some questionable benchmarks showed up on Geekbench. One result detailed a quad-core Core i7-3820QM, an Ivy Bridge CPU. 9to5Mac also got word from a reliable source that the new system would have a Retina display.

The Next Web notes that it would be easy for a developer to include a reference to a Retina display in an update but further points out that Apple would have had to approve it before it went live. It could have been an oversight on Cupertino’s part or perhaps they are alright with it. Furthermore, the publication points out that Folderwatch was featured as an Apple Staff Favorite app in June 2011. Perhaps this award granted them early access to confidential information.

Permalink to story.

Good marketing name, nothing more. They've been pushing the "awesomeness" of the retina display in the iPad commercials for over two years now. In fact, other than its design, that's the only thing they have been pushing, so I'm not particularly surprised that people who like macs can only talk about how rich and detailed the display it. What I am surprised at is that we keep talking about it. As if resolution is the more important indice of a good display...

[LEFT][FONT=Helvetica]As if resolution is the more important indice of a good display...[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Helvetica]No one said it was. You missed the point of the article. Pity.[/FONT][/LEFT]

[LEFT][FONT=Helvetica]As if resolution is the more important indice of a good display...[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Helvetica]No one said it was. You missed the point of the article. Pity.[/FONT][/LEFT]

-From the first page you see at www.apple.com "Resolutionary: the New iPad"

-Product page, literally the first description the customer gets iPad: "Retina display. See everything like never before. Four times more pixels than iPad 2"

-Product page, first paragraph with any detail whatsoever: "Everything you do with iPad, you do through its large, beautiful display. And when the display is better, the entire iPad experience is better. The Retina display on the new iPad features a 2048-by-1536 resolution..."

-Anandtech's article on the announcement for the iPad three read in banner headline: "Apple Announces the New iPad with 2048 x 1536 'Retina Display' "
(http://www.anandtech.com/show/5644/apple-announces-the-new-ipad-with-2048-x-1536-retina-display)

If primary beats recency (and it does, in case you aren't getting the point yet), then you missed the point of EVERYTHING. Boom. roasted. Better grab your backpack from the closet, because you just got taken to school.

I don't know why some people even comment on stuff with such *****ic response. Resolution is the only thing that maters on a display or in photography or I don't know in any kind of video centric on-taking. I can't wait when the retina display matures and we see the full 5100x3200 photo that we take or the 7100 by 5000 with the new d800. Oh if you say that is not the exact number I slap you silly for I approximate the number and it is close enough. Oh and the vibrance of color for the iPad is just stunning you can show the photo to clients right away from eye-fi to iPad. Apple is awesome. And in the past pc users always used that comment that apple is always behind. How come all of you are sitting in the corner now and shutting up. I want to see your comment on how the tablets are way ahead of iPad with their retina displays.

I just lost any belief I had in your post when you said resolution is the only thing that matters in photography. thats a really, really, stupid thing to say.

I don't know why some people even comment on stuff with such *****ic response. Resolution is the only thing that maters on a display or in photography or I don't know in any kind of video centric on-taking. I can't wait when the retina display matures and we see the full 5100x3200 photo that we take or the 7100 by 5000 with the new d800. Oh if you say that is not the exact number I slap you silly for I approximate the number and it is close enough. Oh and the vibrance of color for the iPad is just stunning you can show the photo to clients right away from eye-fi to iPad. Apple is awesome. And in the past pc users always used that comment that apple is always behind. How come all of you are sitting in the corner now and shutting up. I want to see your comment on how the tablets are way ahead of iPad with their retina displays.

Ooooh boy... Resolution is the only thing important in monitors in photography? That's the single dumbest statement I've read in a while. While I don't mind seeing the pictures I take full size on my monitor, I would gladly trade this for color accuracy, viewing angles and palette coverage.

Well, all driod world does is tout how there processors are faster and are now up to 4 cores.

No matter that the overall andriod OS is slower so it responds slower even with a faster processor.

At least Apple delivers stunning visual quality vs hype of processor speed!

Back