Apple could sell 4 million iPhone 4S units on launch weekend

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple could sell as many as 4 million iPhone 4S devices this weekend as the phone becomes available in multiple countries around the world starting today. Apple’s iconic handset is available on three of the four major US carriers for the first time ever, all but ensuring that previous launch weekend sales records will be shattered.

The original iPhone 4 moved 1.7 million units during its first weekend on the market. Bloomberg polled multiple analysts and found that most believe Apple could sell between 2 million and 3 million phones over the weekend launch. But one analyst, Carl Howe from Yankee Group, thinks this number could be as high as 4 million.

Despite what many considered a lackluster unveiling (most were anticipating a redesigned iPhone 5), the 4S is off to a great start thus far. Earlier this week it was reported that preorders had topped 1 million in just 24 hours. Benchmark results started to leak online shortly after revealing a very capable A5 processor and graphics engine that’s just a touch slower than the iPad 2 but faster than nearly every other smartphone available as of writing.

The iPhone 4S ships with Apple’s latest operating system as well. The new iOS 5 brings over 200 new features to the table and became publicly available a couple of days ago for existing iOS devices.

Despite the initial and projected success, Apple will face some stiff competition this holiday season from Windows Phone devices and Google's yet-to-be-released Ice Cream Sandwich OS, likely launching on the Nexus Prime from Samsung. Motorola is also said to be close to unveiling some powerful new handsets like the Droid Razr with a dual-core 1.2GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM.

Permalink to story.

The sheeps are coming...its very suspicious the benchmark of this device...need more test, its like seeing a pentium 4 getting better tan a Icore 2 o 3...its nonsense

When I checked to see what my bill would be, Verizon told me that it would be $86 per month without insurance on the phone, 2gb of data, and the smallest talk/text plan (400 minutes, unlimited text). I currently pay $75 so that's not too horrible.

Honestly, the iPhone 4S is garbage upgrade for a phone, they should've came out with the 5 already. If this phone does sell, it's not because of what it offers, it's because the company's founder has passed away.

I agree with soliozuz.If Steve Jobs had not passed away, the iphone 4S would have had terrible sales

Naa I think Steve Jobs dieing had nothing to do with it...There has been pent up demand for whatever phone Apple released. Lots of frustrated blackberry users are switching over. People who never had a chance for a iPhone on two large networks (Verizon and Sprint). Yeah I know Verizon opened up to the iPhone 4 early but most people in the know on Verizon knew a newer phone was coming out so they waited. I got my 4S yesterday. I never had a iPhone before or even played with one. I just knew it worked and people hwo have one love them. Only people who don't like them usually never had one or had a chance at one (use to be me). So far I love it and everything works like it should...much different than the crapberry world I was living in.

soliozuz said:
Honestly, the iPhone 4S is garbage upgrade for a phone, they should've came out with the 5 already. If this phone does sell, it's not because of what it offers, it's because the company's founder has passed away.
Or maybe it's just that a lot of the sales are from people that DIDN'T get the iPhone 4, so they now feel it's just time to upgrade. Maybe there are also a lot of NEW customers that are getting their first iPhone and it's the 4S.

(This bit isn't directed to you, soliozuz) The sheep comments are getting pretty old. Maybe if you pulled your head out of your *** once in a while you would realize that not everyone and their grandmother is a tech savvy enthusiast that wants all the advanced features Android can offer. Maybe they just want a phone that is easy to use? That's what Apple does, they make things EASY TO USE so people that aren't tech savvy can still use technology.

Well I have my 4S as another line on the Verizon Family plan and for it I have Unlimited Data and Texting and it runs me $59 a month with taxes. I am sure an individual plan will run you about $70-80.

I have followed many benchmarks and even though Sprint offers Unlimited Data there network speeds are about 1/3 of what Verizon and AT&T will give you. During the testing Verizon and AT&T both had there strong and weak points against each other but destroyed Sprint in all tests.

I get why people like iPhones I've used them and use to have one (3GS), but i prefer Android phones, they fit more for what i need from a phone. I'm not saying Android is better its just better for me.

I don't know why people are saying this upgrade ain't worth it, if i had a iPhone 4 i would upgrade, granted people expected more, but the extra power is worth it, but that's just me. I have seen the current iPhone 4 phone run pretty slow at times, the dual core will make a difference plus you have the upgraded camera, but the addition of "siri" is just fluff to me

Siri is amazing. The one thing I really like is when its plugged into my car I don't have to take my eyes off the road to text and siri also reads the text you receive to you. That feature alone will save lives!

Back