Apple expands authorized repair partnership with Best Buy

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: According to Apple, eight out of 10 of its customers are now within 20 minutes of an authorized service provider. That's great news for customers who don't live near an Apple Store or are turned off by the idea of mailing in their device for repair.

Apple on Wednesday expanded its third-party repair network to include every Best Buy store in the US, making it even easier and more convenient for customers to “access safe and reliable repairs.”

Best Buy’s Geek Squad now has nearly 7,600 newly Apple-certified technicians ready to service Apple products at one of nearly 1,000 retail locations. All repairs through Best Buy are backed by Apple and are completed using genuine Apple parts, the company said.

Apple’s deal with Best Buy expands on a previous partnership which included around 225 stores.

With the expansion, Apple now has more than 1,800 authorized third-party service providers in the US which is three times as many locations as it had just three years ago. That is in addition to the 270 or store Apple retail stores that also provide repairs.

Some states including Montana, Vermont and Wyoming don’t have an Apple Store, making the partnership even more valuable to locals that may live near a Best Buy.

Those in need of a repair can start a request over on Apple’s dedicated repair page.

Permalink to story.

Oh so I'm going to have an ***** Squad Agent working on my device? No thank you! I hope that Apple still allows their Apple Stores to do iDevice repairs since I won't let Worst Buy employees touch my iPhone.

May be good for in-warranty as this usually is 'board swapping'. However, this may be very expensive if actually available for folks with 'accidental' damage (liquid spill, closing screen on keys, or stepping on it, etc). This is not good for these folks. Still need chip level repair like what Louis Rossmann offers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Rossmann).

Just like the Apple Stores, it will be screens and batteries. That's about it. Trust me, your every day Squad Agent can handle it.

This is a very good move by Apple, one which their customers should appreciate.

But repairing what?
As I know it, Best Buy only does iPhone repairs nothing else. Which they have been doing for a lil while now.
They don't do MacBook or iPad repairs, so it that changing? The article never stated specifics.

Why, because you got fired from a retail store?
Most hate the jobs they cant do or arent good at. Most people arent good at retail jobs. Some ppl just suck at dealing with others.

Actually: I quit.

Not only did I quit, but I didn't give them 30 day notice.

Why? They underpaid me (in my opinion) and I was annoyed with their policies.

As for "doing the job" - I was excellent at it.

Its retail. If money was what you were looking for, you choose the wrong profession.

The policies lol, again its retail. If you were good I guarantee they would have paid you. Whether you got the pay you wanted is a different story.

In retail if you arent liked or dont get along with ppl, they wont pay you. Just the way it is.

Oh so I'm going to have an ***** Squad Agent working on my device? No thank you! I hope that Apple still allows their Apple Stores to do iDevice repairs since I won't let Worst Buy employees touch my iPhone.

This reads like a Donald Trump tweet.
That's not a compliment.

I worked for Geek Squad quite a while, but I had a good gig. Full time, capped pay, and when I found a new job in my field they let me stay on very part time, picking my own hours. Our store was great, but I know we were quite an exception compared to the rest of the brand.

But mixing retail and computer support is a recipe for crazy.

Back