Apple hopes to convince people to buy its $3,500 Vision Pro headset using free 25-minute...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: If you're an Apple fan with a large disposable income and interested in buying a Vision Pro, be prepared to spend a while at your local Apple store. Demos for the $3,500 mixed-reality headset, which Apple insists on calling a spatial computer, will reportedly last up to 25 minutes.

Apple undoubtedly faces a tough time trying to convince people to spend three and a half thousand dollars on a its upcoming headset. To ensure potential buyers experience the device at its best, the company is introducing an extensive demo lasting almost half an hour, writes Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

Now read: I got to play with the Apple Vision Pro and saw the future of computing. Again.

The first part of the Vision Pro demonstration will involve scanning the user's face with an app, much like the setup process for Face ID. This will inform the employee which light seal, foam cushion, and band size the customer will need. The light seal, used to stop light from leaking in, comes in more than 25 shapes and sizes, while the cushions come in two different sizes.

We already know that the Vision pro isn't compatible with glasses, so wearers will need specific lenses fitted to the headset. Apple workers will use a device to scan glasses lenses to confirm prescription information, after which another worker will assemble the Vision Pro demo unit with the correct accessories. There will apparently be hundreds of in-store lenses for the Vision Pro demonstrations.

Showing off the customized unit will involve explaining how the user interface works, including controlling the pointer with your eyes and how to make the correct hand gestures. Even how to hold the headset will be part of the demo. The employee will also let users view 3D (spatial) photos and videos, show how the Vision Pro works as a computer or iPad replacement, load some third-party apps, scroll through web pages via Safari, and more. Everything that the customer sees, the Apple worker will see on their iPad.

Those who are certain they'll love the Vision Pro and don't need the demo can buy the headset online, though they will be encouraged to try one of the units at a store first. They will still need to use an iPhone or iPad to scan their heads to get the right strap, and they'll need their vision prescription information if required.

The demo is free and doesn't require you to pre-order or purchase the headset. Customers can sign up for a demo at their local Apple Stores, starting at 8:00 am on Friday, February 2, the day the Vision Pro launches.

Permalink to story.

You can absolutely guarantee that someone will buy it, there are people who delight in getting the latest iDevice regardless of cost.

The question is whether enough of them buy it to warrant a version 2 that might be more affordable...

Will they require a CC# for the demo in case you need the Apple branded iBarfed Bag?

I would put in the expensive toy category. The people buying it are not busting a gut to play games endlessly , watch evry movie . Some young person saving up for RTX4090 will work that think to death

This is a segway , and cool drone for these affluent people , they will use it nad nearly forget they have it . Oh flying to Jo'Burg next month , oh I have my applle thingy , should charge it up for the flight

They will also have $8000 of golf clubs or something like it , for their 2 games of golf a year

Free 25-minute in-store demos, eh? That's probably all most people will need of this thing before the novelty starts wearing off.

PS. - To those commenters who say people will buy anything Apple puts out no matter the price. Yes, but this thing won't be selling tens of millions like their other products. Also this; a fool and his money are soon parted.

I would rather buy a 77 inches OLED for a monitor before I ever consider buying that 3500 Apple Vision Pro.

And I despise OLED with a passion...

There will be buyers for sure. However, the question is whether Apple can keep up the sales momentum. Maybe Apple can pull this off, though I highly doubt it. This is not a cell phone where people must have to communicate and pocketable. The cost is also prohibitively high for most people.

The only people buying these will be:

Social media "influencers", people that will say "look at me", the hollyweirdo types etc.

I bet it will sell. This is Apple, and their very "dedicated" fans. (Putting it nicely)
If Apple put dog poop in a brown bag, and listed it at $499, they would buy it in a second.

They would go home, and put it in the special $250 display they had purchased ahead of time specifically for the iPoop. Then, they would spend the next week on the internet telling people that the iPoop is the BEST bag of dog poop in the world.

Does it even have developer support? I can't image a software developer would take the time to create software for this device. It would be such a waste of time at too much of a cost.

What, they raised the price already???
My Bad.
"Apple hopes to convince people to buy its $3,500 Vision Pro headset using free 25-minute in-store demos"

It was in the title, and it was the first and only price announced.

Back