Apple introduces titanium-clad iPhone 15 Pro with industry-first 3nm processor

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Highly anticipated: The new Apple iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max feature 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays, and utilize a grade 5 titanium alloy that's stronger, more durable, and lighter than the stainless steel used in the previous flagships phones.

The titanium alloy makes this the lightest iPhone Pro lineup ever at 187 grams (6.60 ounces) and 221 grams (7.81 ounces), respectively. For comparison, last year's Pro and Pro Max models weighed 206 grams (7.27 ounces) and 240 grams (8.47 ounces).

Apple has also replaced the ring / silent switch with a customizable action button. This new button can still function as a ring / silent switch by simply pressing and holding the button to toggle between the two modes, but can also be programmed to perform a variety of other tasks such as launching a voice memo, bringing up the camera, activating an accessibility feature, or launching a specific app.

Powering the iPhone 15 Pro is an all-new A17 Pro SoC, the industry's first 3nm chip. It features 19 billion transistors and is comprised of a six-core CPU (two performance cores, four efficiency cores) alongside a 16-core neural engine that can process up to 35 trillion operations per second, and a six-core GPU with hardware-accelerated ray tracing that is said to offer up to four times faster ray tracing compared to software ray tracing on the A16 Bionic.

A phone's camera system is one of its key selling points, and Apple reserved the very best for its iPhone 15 Pro Max. The star of the show here is the 12-megapixel telephoto with a 5x optical zoom (120mm), an f/2.8 aperture, and 3D sensor-shift optical image stabilization.

All new iPhones for 2023 have made the switch from Apple's proprietary Lightning connector to USB-C.

All new iPhones for 2023 have made the switch from Apple's proprietary Lightning connector to USB-C. The Pro-grade models feature an improved USB controller that enables up to 10Gb/s transfers. Battery life is rated at up to 23 hours of video playback on the iPhone 15 Pro and up to 29 hours on the iPhone 15 Pro Max, and you can get up to a 50 percent charge in ~30 minutes using a 20W adapter or better (sold separately).

Both models also feature MagSafe wireless charging at up to 15W, and carry an IP68 rating against dust and water.

Apple's iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max will be available to pre-order starting September 15 in four colors: natural titanium, blue titanium, white titanium, or black titanium. The phones will launch and ship to customers a week later on September 22.

Pricing starts at $999 for an iPhone 15 Pro with 128 GB of storage, or $1,199 for a Pro Max with 256 GB of space. The iPhone 15 Pro Max is $100 more expensive than last year's iPhone 14 Pro Max, but you do get an extra 128 GB of storage.

Permalink to story.

I love how Apple and websites will push the "dramatic" drop in weight.
It's LESS than 1 1/2 oz.

It's LESS than 1 1/2 oz.
Apple also boasts that with weight drop, airline tickets will drop in price because of fuel efficiency gains.... lighter phones = lighter passenger load = less fuel used

I think they did well to be fair as there is quite few positives in a new pro’s and the same price. Can’t wait to see firsts test of how it performs in demanding games also the camera seems to be really promising for a pro photographers

It's LESS than 1 1/2 oz.

In an extremely optimized tech, improving something while making it smaller and/or lighter is a huge feat. Improving to 5x optical and reducing the weight is excellent. Let's see the battery life, I didn't waste time reading all the specs, but it's probable that they reduced the battery size...

Apple also boasts that with weight drop, airline tickets will drop in price because of fuel efficiency gains.... lighter phones = lighter passenger load = less fuel used

No, that's not the way Apple does it.
Apple does like this:
- "better world and customers"
- remove battery size, Apple saves money
- remove charger and earphones (I'm OK with it, I find it useful) WITHOUT dropping the price, Apple saves money
- higher price, Apple makes even more money
- customer's wallet will be emptier > less money for food > more fast food and depression > more weight > more fuel used

Last edited:
I am interested in gaming on iphone they announced. According to other source, it will not be a different cut version of the game.
So what will it be, exact console level graphics game?
Some people also suggested cloud gaming which of course they would disclose if this was the case.
Ultimately, I want to see if their current chips are able to run current console/pc games.
I mean, if they hold on their promise, this will mean were are here--cellphones can run current games.
Which is hard to believe to me, so I keep looking for workarounds like a super secret upscaling technique or
a mighty optimization for each of those few games they will bring to iphone.

I am interested in gaming on iphone they announced. According to other source, it will not be a different cut version of the game.
Some people also suggested cloud gaming which of course they would disclose if this was the case.
Ultimately, I want to see if their current chips are able to run current console/pc games.
I mean, if they hold on their promise, this will mean were are here--cellphones can run current games.
Which is hard to believe to me, so I keep looking for workarounds like a super secret upscaling technique or
The games Apple showed in their unnecessarily long video presentations weren't games available anywhere else, they were new titles. So those weren't ports. That's the thing about rumors, they aren't fact until proven. I don't think 30fps gaming on a tiny phone display is that exciting. At this time Apple isn't serious about gaming, but just like always, they are serious about marketing and it's clearly working since at least one person is starting to get excited about it.

It's LESS than 1 1/2 oz.
To me I would rather they be heavier and cheaper. The money they spent making them lighter could have made them cheaper, but Apple isn't about saving people money.

The games Apple showed in their unnecessarily long video presentations weren't games available anywhere else, they were new titles. So those weren't ports. That's the thing about rumors, they aren't fact until proven. I don't think 30fps gaming on a tiny phone display is that exciting. At this time Apple isn't serious about gaming, but just like always, they are serious about marketing and it's clearly working since at least one person is starting to get excited about it.
AC Mirage, RE 4 remake, and death stranding.
Like I said, I am not excited to play on iphone I do not plan to buy.
I am excited for a single fact that a phone can play a current PC/console games.
A freakin phone gpu running aaa game.
I will leave a prediction here. If it is not cloud based, there will be three components for this achievement:
1.Heavy optimization which will not work for mass porting games
2.Dlss kind stuff (I bet apple has been working on it for at least a year)
3.And yeah, it will probably run around 30-40 fps, this actually seems like the most realistic guess.

All the console games and recent AAA games including starfield are running on a steam deck, which have an outdated cpu and gpu, so this above is really no achievement at all. Most modern mobile phones have enough of processing power to handle those games, especially with the small screens where you can easily reduce resolution to 720p. What Apple could do is a Proton-like layer to make sure those title will work on mac-like systems. Or maybe even ask developers to recompile whole game directly on their systems. But from performance point of view there is not much to be surprised about.

All the console games and recent AAA games including starfield are running on a steam deck, which have an outdated cpu and gpu, so this above is really no achievement at all. Most modern mobile phones have enough of processing power to handle those games, especially with the small screens where you can easily reduce resolution to 720p. What Apple could do is a Proton-like layer to make sure those title will work on mac-like systems. Or maybe even ask developers to recompile whole game directly on their systems. But from performance point of view there is not much to be surprised about.
Apple refuses to support vulkan, and thus proton, on their mainstream macs, I cant imagine them dedicating resources to such a layer on phones.
To me I would rather they be heavier and cheaper. The money they spent making them lighter could have made them cheaper, but Apple isn't about saving people money.
I'd rather it be heavier, still expensive, with a large battery taking up that space.

but it seems that apple will continue to be apple, and instead of giving us larger cells it widely appears they are using the same cells.

If you want to save money, do the no nonsense thing and go android. Plenty of decent $2-300 phones out there that last 4+ years. The fruit is a status symbol.

I think they did well to be fair as there is quite few positives in a new pro’s and the same price. Can’t wait to see firsts test of how it performs in demanding games also the camera seems to be really promising for a pro photographers
Same price? They said that with the launch of iPhone 14 last year. But in reality, the "same price" is not consistent. Depending on your country, the price of say the iPhone 14 Pro is actually higher than the 13 Pro.

"and a six-core GPU with hardware-accelerated ray tracing "
What's the point of such hardware in a smartphone? Or are they just imitating the PC environment to justify the high prices of these handsets?

I am excited for a single fact that a phone can play a current PC/console games.
I will leave a prediction here. If it is not cloud based, there will be three components for this achievement:
3.And yeah, it will probably run around 30-40 fps, this actually seems like the most realistic guess.
Can you connect a mouse, a keyboard and a 27" monitor to that smartphone to "run" AAA games, so you can play those games in comfortable and healthy conditions?

Can you connect a mouse, a keyboard and a 27" monitor to that smartphone to "run" AAA games, so you can play those games in comfortable and healthy conditions?
This kinda works well for Samsung, was playing disgaea using Samsung dex on 34 inch screen, keeb plus mouse flawlessly, so that's more about apple allowing that than technical limitations.

People need to temper with their expectations.

Yes specs wise it’s impressive but don’t be expecting it to match the console counterpart like for like when it comes to visual quality. It won't be producing exact visuals like Uncharted 4, Heavy Rain, The Last of Us Part 2, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Ghost of Tsushima and such. Some of the games may seem comparable at first glance, but upon closer inspections there's a lot of sacrifice needed on textures, polygon counts..etc to make it run on the phone.

It is a mobile device after all, and even if it was more powerful it can not match modern consoles because they still have to cater for TPD power limits and battery life within the design. No matter how powerful smartphone gets it'll still always be held back by the primitive technology of batteries. Until there's a big breakthrough regarding battery, AAA games will never run as well as their console counterparts at maximum graphics settings for sustained hours without the phone thermal throttling.

I’m not hating on it. I own an iPhone 14 Pro Max myself. I’m just being realistic with mobile gaming.

My iPhone XS works just fine. Had battery replaced at apple store for 79 bucks and it's like new. Such a waste to keep buying phones.

If anything, I'll buy a used Samsung S20 or S21. Cheap and great phones.

It's funny that Apple's event was about 30 minutes of environment crap, yet they want everyone to fill landfills with phones and upgrade. Let alone the "carbon footprint" involved with every component of their phones.

All about the $$

Yeah I was wrong about ported games, there does seem to be some games being ported. Surely there are some differences between AC Mirage on consoles and iPhone, unless the graphics aren't that great on the original or resolution is running well below native resolution on the iPhone. Death Stranding has been out for several years, thought, right?

The biggest issue I have with playing games on the iPhone Pro Max is the hole in the display. I would never buy a gaming monitor with a massive pill shaped hole in the left half of the display. If they ported those games over to Mac and they ran really well, it would be promising, but Apple isn't getting the basics right for now. It's going to take Apple actually being serious about gaming and so far, they just aren't.

Back