1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple is bringing contactless student IDs to more universities this school year

By Shawn Knight · 5 replies
Aug 13, 2019 at 3:02 PM
Post New Reply
  1. Students at the University of Oklahoma, the University of Alabama, Temple University, Johns Hopkins University, Marshall University, Duke University and Mercer University already have access to Apple’s contactless student IDs.

Soon, they’ll be joined by students at Clemson University, Georgetown University, the University of Tennessee, the University of Kentucky, the University of San Francisco, the University of Vermont, Arkansas State University, South Dakota State University, Norfolk State University, Louisburg College, the University of North Alabama and Chowan University.

To use, simply hold your iPhone or Apple Watch near a card reader where physical student ID cards are accepted – both on and off campus. Credentials are protected by two-factor authentication, we’re told.

Jennifer Bailey, Apple’s vice president of Internet Services, said students across the country have already used the contactless ID cards to open more than four million doors on campuses and purchase 1.25 million meals.

Apple is using the opportunity to bake in support for CBORD, Allegion and HID, some of the top names in campus credential verification, so even more students will be able to add their IDs to Apple Wallet.

Permalink to story.

2. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 4,118   +2,406

If one is prone to losing one's ID, then I think one would also be prone to losing one's phone. :confused:

Oh, wait! I forgot. There are those who's phone has become permanently attached to their bodies. :laughing:

p51d007 and lexster like this.
  3. FF222

FF222 TS Addict Posts: 186   +114

I guess Android users had this option for 5-8 years now

lexster likes this.
  4. QuantumPhysics

QuantumPhysics TS Evangelist Posts: 1,363   +1,001

And if my battery dies?

onestepforward and lexster like this.
  5. p51d007

p51d007 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,004   +1,271

Yep, I call it the PIH syndrome.... "phone in hand".
    I've seen videos of people knocked down by cars in crosswalks, bump into walls & windows, fall into fountains, bump into each other, fall down stairs, but they've got a suction grip, on that phone!

wiyosaya likes this.
  6. onestepforward

onestepforward TS Booster Posts: 112   +42

Wow, that's almost as long as Apple provides updates to their devices, unlike any Android OEM.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...