Apple publishes a guide for users moving from Android to iPhone

Justin Kahn

apple android iphone

With the release of the new iPhone 6 and the launch of iOS 8, Apple has released a guide for Android users looking to move over to its platform. The guide offers of up some options for moving all of your Android content over to iOS 8.

While the guide seems handy, offering up options for transferring everything from mail, videos, photos, music and docs to calendars and contacts, some transfer data will require the use of additional apps. Apple seemingly doesn't have a solid system of its own in place for transfers and is suggesting apps like Copy My Data, Photo Sync, and AT&T Mobile Transfer for the data iOS can't deal with on its own. Apple also spends the time to highlight some alternatives to Android apps like its own in house office suite: Numbers, Pages, and Keynote.

For music, Apple simply suggests finding your streaming app of choice and logging in to the iOS version, but for other music files it suggests using the Android File Transfer Tool, which can be found here. As for particular third party apps users would like to move over to iOS, Apple says you're likely to find what you're looking for but you will have to search through the App Store to find it on your own. 

You can view the full guide on Apple's support site for detailed information and suggestions on moving from Android to iOS.

Permalink to story.

I guess they've wasted their time, money and energy on 99.999% of sensible Android users but thanks anyway Apple although you shouldn't have bothered.

Well, I know you need training in order to smarten up, but getting dumber is natural, no instructions needed.

Prior to the iphone 6 launch I know a few people that moved because they wanted a bigger screen and were tired of the walled in apple eco system.

Even with the bigger screen now the other issue is still present.

Serious question why would anyone go from android backed to that closed environment?

I am moving from my S3 to the new Iphone 6 Plus, I LOVE the interface and the new features makes my stay a big better, I will admit it might not be a galaxy phone but lets be honest when all I care about is interface & the obvious core features I would rather move to a sexy iphone.

I do miss the solid non-curved style the Iphone 5 has which I dont see why apple didnt keep it as the curves make it look... well... cheap....

You people blow my mind.

The Apple Ecosystem is not some kind of prison you get locked into when you buy an Apple product. It's a bonus feature, something you can use as a selling point, and it makes sense. Everybody wants that kind of integration between their devices, but everyone doesn't want to pay Apple money for it. So they hack together a bunch of third-party solutions and call it perfect. The Apple Ecosystem is not toxic, it's just something that's there to give you the best possible experience, not lock you into one.

I worked in a phone repair store for the last year. The VAST majority of phones we got in for anything except broken screens were any phone other than iPhones. iPhones are constructed solidly, there software is sound, and their hardware is top notch. Android phones are, frankly, a mess. A well oiled mess, but a mess all the same.

Am I an Apple fanboy? No, I own an iPhone. No Macs, no iPod. I'm just telling it like it is. I've used both systems and I can tell you that Apple doesn't deserve the kind of ridiculous hate that most people seem so willing to dish out. They're not perfect by any means, and at the end of the day it's entirely your choice. But you have to try both sides to ever be able to make an opinion. And even then, you can't hate on Apple for ridiculous reasons like their pricing.

"And even then, you can't hate on Apple for ridiculous reasons like their pricing."

I'd say that would be a very good reason to not like their products. They are very expensive, at least 20% more expensive than the equivalent high-end phone by any other manufacturer. They do this because they can get away with it - the demand is there.

Yes, the build quality is generally pretty good - but it's not perfect. I know plenty of people with broken iPhones (and not just smashed screens).

"The Apple Ecosystem is not toxic, it's just something that's there to give you the best possible experience, not lock you into one."

I have to disagree strongly with that. All mobile OS's are trying to lock their users into buying content from their own store, as their is a lot of money to be made. Apple are the best at this and they have long been locking people into their ecosystem so they make it more difficult for users to switch and to maintain their revenue through iTunes. It is a lot easier to import your own media content for example on any other device, not running iOS.

Each to their own, but I do find it frustrating when people I know won't consider anything apart from an iPhone. "It just works" is the usual comment. It doesn't work for me.

Nice. Apple came out with something else completely useless that will make people think that they need to use it. I wonder how much they charge for so called "guide." lol

. Apple said itself samsung is going the worng way with bigger size screen mockig the size. Now they fall in line and do exactly what they mocked samsung for . NOt to mention resolution and screen appearance is better on samsung regardless of size, apple has 720p bah, 720P!!!! haha a

You people blow my mind.

The Apple Ecosystem is not some kind of prison you get locked into when you buy an Apple product. It's a bonus feature, something you can use as a selling point, and it makes sense. Everybody wants that kind of integration between their devices, but everyone doesn't want to pay Apple money for it. So they hack together a bunch of third-party solutions and call it perfect. The Apple Ecosystem is not toxic, it's just something that's there to give you the best possible experience, not lock you into one.

I worked in a phone repair store for the last year. The VAST majority of phones we got in for anything except broken screens were any phone other than iPhones. iPhones are constructed solidly, there software is sound, and their hardware is top notch. Android phones are, frankly, a mess. A well oiled mess, but a mess all the same.

Am I an Apple fanboy? No, I own an iPhone. No Macs, no iPod. I'm just telling it like it is. I've used both systems and I can tell you that Apple doesn't deserve the kind of ridiculous hate that most people seem so willing to dish out. They're not perfect by any means, and at the end of the day it's entirely your choice. But you have to try both sides to ever be able to make an opinion. And even then, you can't hate on Apple for ridiculous reasons like their pricing.
Your wrong period. I can't simply plug a SUB cord to my iPhone and pc. I have to start iTunes. Buggy crap software. Sync my phone HOPE the garbage does what I want. Wait freaking forever. Then guess what my stuff is now locked to that phone. I can't play it on pc or anything else. Only iTunes. I can hook USB cord up to my Android and drop and drag. Apple sucks.

Your wrong period. I can't simply plug a SUB cord to my iPhone and pc. I have to start iTunes. Buggy crap software. Sync my phone HOPE the garbage does what I want. Wait freaking forever. Then guess what my stuff is now locked to that phone. I can't play it on pc or anything else. Only iTunes. I can hook USB cord up to my Android and drop and drag. Apple sucks.

Having spent countless hours restoring music to an iPhone I have to agree fully. I also had a great deal of trouble backing up an iPhone as iTunes does not allow you to save backups to a drive other than the C: drive! At the time I was using my old PC which did not have sufficient space on the C: drive.

Man I wish I could move from my crappy iPhone 5s to some high end Android phone. Do they have a reverse instruction guide "Move from iOShit to Andriod". I've had the 4, 4s and now have the 5s. The only reason I'm still with Apple is because it's work supplied. I really hate the thing, my call quality is absolute ****, I live downtown and have 4-5 bars, yet my calls drop or become so choppy I can't understand the other end. I freaking hate any kind of editing on it, especially emails!! Oh the amount of swearing at my phone when I'm just trying to write a quick reply. So the only 2 things I use my phone for mainly suck, and seeing how phone calls are paramount, iphone in my books is the biggest fail. My old Blackberry though not the most technically advanced did the 2 things I need to do for my job. So I know there's so many many people that love their iPhones and swear by them that's great, that's great and I'm happy for you but for ME iPhones are the biggest piece of SH*T. Man what I wouldn't do to get through a whole day on a charge again... Oh well making phone calls seems to be at the bottom of smartphones list of things to do well these days...

You people blow my mind.

honestly, most of the people on this site are teenage kids who think their Android device is cool. You can't mention apple without all the regulars crying their eyes out saying how terrible they "think" iphones are. When they grow up, they will see the phones do NOT make you cool. If they actually tried an iphone (for longer then a week) they would see that's its not at all what their friends told them about it. I too use Android mostly, but do have IOS and see that its clearly a more polished system.

My version of the apple conversion guide.

Step 1. "Give us your credit card details"

Step 2. Here's how you can't do anything you want with our products.

Step 2a. You can sort of do what you want but have to buy all these apps to sort of get halfway to where you want.

Step 3. I don't give a damn you don't want U2's album on all your devices, your having it!.

Step 4. Don't put your naked shots on iCloud, horny Apple techs may steal them.

Step 5. Make sure to delete most of your data from your device so you can update to iOS 8 so we can screw you even more

I can't believe it! I'm ecstatic! My blood is boiling with anticipation.

Now I can get all my data from a phone I don't own, to a phone I never will.

I almost don't know where to not start....:p

iTunes may be a bit buggy, but at least there is a software that will backup/sync, organize, and play all your music. What equivalent is there for Android? I am considering moving from iPhone to Android, but the lack of features is holding me back. Drag and Drop using Windows Explorer is NOT the same thing as syncing (dedupe/copy most recent, copy contacts/calendar/etc).

You people blow my mind.

honestly, most of the people on this site are teenage kids who think their Android device is cool. You can't mention apple without all the regulars crying their eyes out saying how terrible they "think" iphones are. When they grow up, they will see the phones do NOT make you cool. If they actually tried an iphone (for longer then a week) they would see that's its not at all what their friends told them about it. I too use Android mostly, but do have IOS and see that its clearly a more polished system.

I'm fortunately no longer a teenage kid (but like to act like one when I can get away with it) and I don't think iPhones or other Apple devices are terrible. Although I do think they are falling behind in innovation and specification, and I do think they are over priced for what they are. In the end all phones are rectangular touch devices that can run software. If people want to pay more for one that does the same as another then its up to them.

Last edited:
If you think Apple's locked in Ecosystem is a feature, you are using it wrong.

Sounds like the PEBKAC for all the fandroids responding to this article complaining about their iPhones.

Most of the comments about managing music in iTunes are complete BS. Tip: you can export your whole iTunes library as MP3s to any device or drive you like and you CAN backup your music on other drives besides C:

For so-called Google fans, you don't seem to know how to use their search engine very well...

Hence the comment! Just kidding. :)</endtrolling>
Survey says, I was being a smart a**. Feel free to provide your own take on it.

Next best answer, "because I can, and I'm good at it".

Are you sure you're not just hypersensitive?

I've been watching your posts in general. They seem to be getting more hostile and shorter.

(If "hostile" seems well, too hostile, let's offer "abrupt" as an option).

Survey says, I was being a smart a**. Feel free to provide your own take on it.

Next best answer, "because I can, and I'm good at it".

Are you sure you're not just hypersensitive?

I've been watching your posts in general. They seem to be getting more hostile and shorter.

(If "hostile" seems well, too hostile, let's offer "abrupt" as an option).
Considering I'm just a casual observer, I can honestly say "No, he's not just hypersensitive"

Capt, you really need to lighten up. Your humor can be funny. Your constant and persistent insults are not.

Back