Apple reportedly orders record-setting number of new iPhones

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple is confident its next iPhone will be a hit among consumers. The company has reportedly asked suppliers to build between 85 million and 90 million units of its upcoming smartphone by the end of the year according to people familiar with the matter as reported by The Wall Street Journal.

If true, the initial production run would be the largest yet for Apple. Last year, the company initially ordered 70 million to 80 million units – a record at the time – yet even still, getting an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus on launch day without a pre-order was no easy feat.

Manufacturing so many handsets in the first production run is a bit risky, especially considering that the new iPhones aren’t expected to be as big of a change as the current models were compared to the 5s. Think of it as a “tock” in Intel’s “tick tock” release cycle in which it refines the previous year’s design.

Rumors suggest the 6s / 6s Plus will include the Force Touch feature found on the Apple Watch as well as an improved camera module. Much of the new iPhones’ allure could be centered on the camera as some reports have pegged it as being a huge step forward in terms of mobile photography.

There’s a fine line that companies must walk when it comes to production. Producing too many phones means you’ll end up with excess inventory that will likely have to be sold at a discount. Make too few handsets and you're going to miss out on sales.

Permalink to story.

You would think that consumers would start to catch on this never ending cycle of upgrade upgrade upgrade every year, with devices that have higher & higher density screens, faster & faster processors that do 99% of the people absolutely NO GOOD. A device, 2-3 years old, for the bulk of people that use them, will run all the usual apps. The majority of people, make calls, take photos, post photos, view video, listen to mp3, browse the web. They aren't trying to solve complex equations, playing 3d games etc. Yes, some do but MOST do not. The increase in speed or performance is negligible in day to day activities. Yes, if you run a silly benchmark program, a 2 year old device will get smoked by the latest offering, but, is all that performance worth the costs of updating every year? Plus, as most consumers (in the USA) do, they think they are saving money by going under a 2 year contract, when it has been proven that in that two years, you could have purchased the device FULL PRICE, gone under a month to month, and saved a lot of money. Economic education (at least in the USA) is lacking, so people think they are getting a bargain by doing the contract. I think some are starting to wise up, considering the flood of lesser expensive phones flooding the market. Over a year ago, I bought a midrange device, 6" screen 720p screen, snapdragon400 processor. Coworker bought a Nexus6. We installed the SAME applications on both devices, set the screen brightness to the same, then rebooted both. Running the same applications on both devices, there might have been a tad difference in launching the apps, but, both devices ran the apps the same. Now, is that blink of an eye difference worth almost double the price of the N6, versus my Huawei Mate2? He sent it back, and got last years N5 for about the same price of mine. If consumers would wake up to that fact, you'd see the overpriced devices, start to back up in warehouses, and the prices would come down. Most of these devices have build costs of under $280 dollars, but will retail for 700, 800 dollars. When they start backing up, maybe the astronomical prices will drop.

You would think that consumers would start to catch on this never ending cycle of upgrade upgrade upgrade every year, with devices that have higher & higher density screens, faster & faster processors that do 99% of the people absolutely NO GOOD. A device, 2-3 years old, for the bulk of people that use them, will run all the usual apps. The majority of people, make calls, take photos, post photos, view video, listen to mp3, browse the web. They aren't trying to solve complex equations, playing 3d games etc. Yes, some do but MOST do not. The increase in speed or performance is negligible in day to day activities. Yes, if you run a silly benchmark program, a 2 year old device will get smoked by the latest offering, but, is all that performance worth the costs of updating every year? Plus, as most consumers (in the USA) do, they think they are saving money by going under a 2 year contract, when it has been proven that in that two years, you could have purchased the device FULL PRICE, gone under a month to month, and saved a lot of money. Economic education (at least in the USA) is lacking, so people think they are getting a bargain by doing the contract. I think some are starting to wise up, considering the flood of lesser expensive phones flooding the market. Over a year ago, I bought a midrange device, 6" screen 720p screen, snapdragon400 processor. Coworker bought a Nexus6. We installed the SAME applications on both devices, set the screen brightness to the same, then rebooted both. Running the same applications on both devices, there might have been a tad difference in launching the apps, but, both devices ran the apps the same. Now, is that blink of an eye difference worth almost double the price of the N6, versus my Huawei Mate2? He sent it back, and got last years N5 for about the same price of mine. If consumers would wake up to that fact, you'd see the overpriced devices, start to back up in warehouses, and the prices would come down. Most of these devices have build costs of under $280 dollars, but will retail for 700, 800 dollars. When they start backing up, maybe the astronomical prices will drop.
I agree it's totally unnecessary to replace your phone every year but people get bored with their toys quickly so it suits manufacturers down to a tee. What's wrong with making a quick buck, in Apples case a few billion? They make hay while the sun shines because even they must realize it can't last forever.

Today's consumers are more tech savvy and don't really need to upgrade everytime there's a new phone, just look at Samsung! I don't believe iPhone users would get rid of their just gotten expensive new toy for another expensive toy!

Today's consumers are more tech savvy and don't really need to upgrade everytime there's a new phone, just look at Samsung! I don't believe iPhone users would get rid of their just gotten expensive new toy for another expensive toy!
Not the users that signed a contract last year and got an iPhone 6, but the users that signed a contract two years ago, got an iPhone 5S, and their contract is about to expire, mostly would.
People don't actually upgrade every year. They upgrade when their contracts end, in a two-year cycle. Apple doesn't expect users who got an iPhone 6 last year to ditch them for a 6S this year, the same way Samsung doesn't expect users who got a Galaxy S5 last year to be the ones who get a S6 now.

I agree it's totally unnecessary to replace your phone every year but people get bored with their toys quickly so it suits manufacturers down to a tee. What's wrong with making a quick buck, in Apples case a few billion? They make hay while the sun shines because even they must realize it can't last forever.

Phones do deteriorate though. Mainly the battery. I just replaced my phone after 2 years and my battery would be dead after about 6 hours of being unplugged. You can't replace internal batteries either. Apple has enjoyed this battery problem for years. Samsung is now on the bandwagon.

While it's true that you get almost the same product with a new phone, just the fact that it's new offers a faster and better experience.

Now I have an LG G4, which does have a removable battery, so when mine starts dying fast next year I'll just swap in the one they gave me free with a rebate. Apple would never be so willing to not force their customers into an 'upgrade'.

Phones do deteriorate though. Mainly the battery. I just replaced my phone after 2 years and my battery would be dead after about 6 hours of being unplugged. You can't replace internal batteries either. Apple has enjoyed this battery problem for years. Samsung is now on the bandwagon.

While it's true that you get almost the same product with a new phone, just the fact that it's new offers a faster and better experience.

Now I have an LG G4, which does have a removable battery, so when mine starts dying fast next year I'll just swap in the one they gave me free with a rebate. Apple would never be so willing to not force their customers into an 'upgrade'.
It's most likely that the G4 is one of the last of a dying breed. Devices with user replaceable batteries are fast becoming extinct which suits manufacturers just fine, it forces users to replace the device when the battery reaches the end of it's tether. I'm not a fan of 'sealed in' batteries either.

Hey, I'm not knocking Apple or any other mfg. I just wish I had one of those DeLoran time machines...I'd go back to the 80's and buy some yahoo, MS, and Apple stock...along with walmart. I'd be living on my own private island by now. ;)

Hey, I'm not knocking Apple or any other mfg. I just wish I had one of those DeLoran time machines...I'd go back to the 80's and buy some yahoo, MS, and Apple stock...along with walmart. I'd be living on my own private island by now. ;)
Don't we all? (y)

Back