Apple reportedly set to reveal cheaper 8GB iPhone 5c tomorrow

Justin Kahn

Apple is readying a new 8GB iPhone 5c for launch, according to various reports today. The rumors surfaced when an email from German mobile carrier O2 sent to its employees detailed the new device.

The email has been widely reported on and contains details on the pricing structure for the new device along with a barcode identifying it as a blue 8GB iPhone. The new model will cost around $85 (60 euros) less than the current 16GB version, according to the leaked internal O2 email.

Many feel this would be a move that makes sense for Apple with regards to a push for price effective options, but appear to be a little apprehensive towards an iPhone with only 8GB of flash. Apple would seemingly stand to profit quite a lot from a move of this type, considering there would be very little alteration in the manufacturing process and that it would likely bring down the company's overall cost to a certain extent.

Reports suggest that, depending on the device's reception in Europe, it is likely to launch everywhere, and possibly get revealed tomorrow. Although nothing has been officially confirmed for tomorrow at this point, with both the O2 email and images of the 8GB 5c's packaging now online, the device is likely something we will be hearing more about.

Permalink to story.

Just goes to show Apple's profit margin. 8gb of flash memory doesn't cost much when you buy wholesale. It's maybe $3, yet they are charging $85 apparently for the extra 8gb.

I prefer IOS, but at the price of new phones, my 3 year old iphone 4 is good enough. (fast enough now too with 7.1)

I used to have a 4GB iPod Nano and a 8GB iPod Touch 4G. The space was always an issue. Now I have a 16GB iPhone 5 and space is already beginning to run low. Apps are taking more and more space nowadays and 8GB is very little in this day and age for some people. But it may suite the needs for some.

I wouldn't buy an 8 GB iOS phone. People are already having to move photos and apps off their 16 GB phones to make room for the updates to unpack.

I appreciate my GS3 with my 32GB microSD card, no running out of space in the near future for me. The only time I've ever had problems with storage is when I had 30.2GB of music on the card. When I reach that point, I realize I need to re-evaluate the amount of music I have on my card and clean up shop.

In today's times, I believe 8/16GB is simply not enough for more and more people. Especially when the iPhone doesn't even accommodate SD cards to begin with.

With the price of memory today 32gb & 64gb should be the norm, with 16gb being a budget phone. Apple has always charged a premium price for increased memory.

A new iphone is not cheap. not even once.
I just bought my Samsung S4. Every single person that I know with the iPhone 5 easily admits they'd rather have this phone. The fad is wearing quickly for the cuteness of these devices.

I paid $20 at Radioshack AND kept my unlimited data plan with Verizon.

Oh 8Gb!? My phone came with 16Gb internal AND a 16Gb memory chip.

Back