Apple still has a problem correcting alarms for daylight savings

Greg S

Facepalm: Yet another time change bug has been encountered in iOS, this time on iPhones running iOS 12. Not all alarms have been updated to account for daylight savings time ending, causing some to wake up later than expected.

After another spring forward when some people need that extra cup of coffee, some iPhone users may unknowingly be at risk of being late to their appointments. This is not the first time that iOS has had problems with time changes either. Some users have reported that their alarms did not get adjusted to account for daylight savings time ending.

For some still unknown reason, Apple cannot seem to change the clock on iOS without causing problems for its users. If you are an iPhone user, check out any alarms you have set to make sure that they are now for the correct time. Any calendar appointments created within the last 48 hours may also want to be checked out just in case, but there do not appear to be any problems with scheduled events.

Now that daylight savings time is over, there is little need to worry of further problems until the fall at the next time change. The solutions available for users are to set two alarms. First, set one assuming that the time will not change and the other set for the new time. Otherwise, iOS users may want to disable the automatic clock setting so that the time will not change until manually adjusted the next day.

Apple now has until November 3, 2019 to get its act together so that those reliant on their iPhones will not be bothered by yet another glitch due to the time change. There may be underlying reasons as to why the problem is not as simple as it seems, but its not like Apple is short on any resources required to fix what is nothing more than a digital clock.

Permalink to story.

Except that the DST time change hasn't happened yet in Europe.
How is that related? This article is not about European DST.

Perhaps Apple products are sold in Europe as well as the US. That would explain it.

"Perhaps"? Aren't you sure?

Article is touching issues related to DST change which are happening right now in US. And right now the issues are visible. Again, the fact that European countries have DST change in 3 weeks is not related to issues last weekend in US.

DST is stupid and should be abandoned...Let the nature go through its course order... Not all populations are farmers!

Last edited:
To be fair, I never been victim of this bug and I have iPhone since 6S.
Your alarm never be adjusted automatically, because you want to wake up in the same time as before, if it does then your time zone has to stay same, otherwise you'll wake up 1 hour earlier or later.

Also the article's title is misleading with
"Apple still has a problem correcting alarms for daylight savings" no they have no problem with the alarms (alarms should not correct itself unless the user say so), but they have with the daylight saving...
Do you think you can amend the title to make sure it is not misleading? something like this:
"Apple still has a problem correcting time for daylight saving"

"Perhaps"? Aren't you sure?

Article is touching issues related to DST change which are happening right now in US. And right now the issues are visible. Again, the fact that European countries have DST change in 3 weeks is not related to issues last weekend in US.
Clearly he is sure and is being sarcastic.
If the problem happened in the US this weekend and Apple might take until November to fix the issue then it is highly likely that it will happen again in a few week's time.
Or are you suggesting that the bug only affects US handsets?
For your education, here is an article showing that the bug has been around since iOS 4.1 affecting all Apple's devices around the world:
https://www.cultofmac.com/67254/how-to-avoid-the-iphone-daylight-savings-bug/

To be fair, I never been victim of this bug and I have iPhone since 6S.
Your alarm never be adjusted automatically, because you want to wake up in the same time as before, if it does then your time zone has to stay same, otherwise you'll wake up 1 hour earlier or later.

Also the article's title is misleading with
"Apple still has a problem correcting alarms for daylight savings" no they have no problem with the alarms (alarms should not correct itself unless the user say so), but they have with the daylight saving...
Do you think you can amend the title to make sure it is not misleading? something like this:
"Apple still has a problem correcting time for daylight saving"
Hi Dosahka,
it seems the bug is specifically with the alarm and is quite an old bug as you can check out in the link I pasted above. Extract:
"The snafu appears to be a problem with the synchronization — while the iPhone updates itself to recognize the daylight savings change in your time zone, it doesn’t update your alarm."
It also seems it was an issue in 2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2019. So it looks like they have reintroduced an old bug.
Also, if I was waking up at 7am before, then I would want to wake up at (the new) 7am after the time change. There is little point in being woken at (the old) 6am or 8am.

Back