Apple will reportedly stick with the Lightning connector for one more year before going...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple will reportedly stick with the proprietary Lightning connector on its next-generation iPhone instead of shifting to the widely used USB-C interface according to one tech leaker. If true, it likely means that Apple will never produce an iPhone with USB-C as next year's models are expected to go portless.

On Twitter, Fudge said it was a shame that the USB-C prototype iPhone 12s weren’t making it into production. Instead, we are destined for at least one more year of the Lightning connector. The leaker added that starting with next year’s models, Apple will move to a port-free design featuring a smart connector.

Apple reportedly hasn’t started developing this model yet but according to the leaker, the intended way to charge the iPhone 13 will be through traditional wireless charging.

The Cupertino-based company has been nothing if not consistent with its connector usage over the years. Apple deployed its proprietary 30-pin connector on the original iPhone and subsequent models before transitioning to the smaller Lightning connector starting with the iPhone 5. While much smaller and reversible, many enthusiasts were upset with the change as it meant their 30-pin connector accessories were no longer compatible with newer handsets.

The Lightning connector has graced each and every iPhone released since 2012 but we’ve increasingly heard rumors about Apple’s desire to move to a portless design. If Fudge proves accurate, that’ll happen in 2021.

Image credit: Kaspars Grinvalds, John Gress Media Inc

Permalink to story.

Wow I remember the days when Apple was revolutionary in performance not making a proprietary connector so that they can make money off of dongles. I remember when having more io was a marketing point for Apple back in the Steve Jobs days. :(

That's one way to throw a temper tantrum. "Fine, I'll just get rid of it rather than share with someone else". Is wireless charging inefficient? How much loss is there this way than using a cable? Granted, getting rid of wires altogether is nice, but how can you use the phone while it's charging? A wireless charger with so much power it sends signal in 10 foot spheres?

As annoying as Apple has been in their unintuitive use of connectors, I'd bet this rumor will end up false. Wireless charging isn't convenient enough yet (still fairly inefficient too), letalone wireless everything else that a cable is used for. I doubt they're willing to sacrifice such a useful port for better water resistance....... yet.

But if they do, man, I hope the "sheeple" wake up and demand what they want, instead of buying what Apple tells them they should want...

So pogo pin type connector is the most likely. I doubt they go just wireless charging since its very slow. Usb C is great but just a jumbled mess with the connector being the same but the capabilities all over the place. I'd like to see how the charging speeds are on it.

As much as people harp on Apple they at least stick by there products better than android. Usually 2 years max is what you get for updates on top end Androids unless you want to root and put a different distro on it. Which is hard on a lot of phones anymore.

Both OS's have there advantages and disadvantages.

That's one way to throw a temper tantrum. "Fine, I'll just get rid of it rather than share with someone else". Is wireless charging inefficient? How much loss is there this way than using a cable? Granted, getting rid of wires altogether is nice, but how can you use the phone while it's charging? A wireless charger with so much power it sends signal in 10 foot spheres?

Are you referring to the USB-C connector? Apple uses that on the iPad Pro, is that throwing a temper tantrum and not sharing? Clearly Apple doesn't mind USB-C but why on the iPad and Macs but not iPhones? I'm gonna guess it's not a "sharing" reason.

Last edited:
Wow I remember the days when Apple was revolutionary in performance not making a proprietary connector so that they can make money off of dongles. I remember when having more io was a marketing point for Apple back in the Steve Jobs days. :(

I don't remember those days, got a specific time point? Apple rarely has a plethora of IO and usually the main IO port was at best too expensive for the mass market Windows side (FireWire, Thunderbolt), or at worst Apple-proprietary (ADB, ADC).

All I care about is 1TB of storage. If they don't give me 1TB of storage, or at least bump up storage from 512GB to somewhere in the 700GB range, I won't buy it.

As for the charging system: I honestly don't care if they do Lightning or Wireless so long as there's a way to do fast transfer of video files to my desktop.

Last edited:
Wireless charging is super harmful to your battery.
I thought it was just me until I did about 20 seconds of researching.
My S6 and S7 got so hot, it almost burnt my hand, thought my S7 was infected...it definitely did permanent damage to my S7's battery.
I was using official Samsung wireless stations as well.
Maybe the tech has improved?

I would only suggest it to someone who's broken the physical charger port on their phone, there are two around my office and NOBODY uses them.

pssst......

(cloud)

also: $$

psst... "cloud" is not soft and fluffy. it's actually a lightning storm. cloud is a marketing term meaning someone else's computer. don't be fooled.

perhaps someone would rather back up their data on their own computer rather than out on the internet? internal employees or anywhere in the world could find a way out there. if you personally "have nothing to hide", then why not give us all access to your data?

Usb consortium needs to standardize magnetic USB pogo pins. 4-wire connection is sufficient to deliver fast charging and usb 2.0 480 Mbps connection.

psst... "cloud" is not soft and fluffy. it's actually a lightning storm. cloud is a marketing term meaning someone else's computer. don't be fooled.

perhaps someone would rather back up their data on their own computer rather than out on the internet? internal employees or anywhere in the world could find a way out there. if you personally "have nothing to hide", then why not give us all access to your data?

You missed the point: Apple wants to make money ($$) from your cloud backup. Plus, don't you think that Apple just might be able to come up with a way to back up your iPhone to your computer through your home's WiFi.

All with no wires. It's like the future actually happened with just a wee bit of imagination.

You missed the point: Apple wants to make money ($$) from your cloud backup. Plus, don't you think that Apple just might be able to come up with a way to back up your iPhone to your computer through your home's WiFi.

All with no wires. It's like the future actually happened with just a wee bit of imagination.

Sure they do. Nothing is free.

You think after the billions of phones made that they would have figured out a way to back up phones through wi-fi? Kind of how they can't figure out a way to make bluetooth not have a 1-2 second audio delay? LOL

Sure they do. Nothing is free.

You think after the billions of phones made that they would have figured out a way to back up phones through wi-fi? Kind of how they can't figure out a way to make bluetooth not have a 1-2 second audio delay? LOL
I haven't experienced that either on my iPhone nor on any Mac though I rarely use BT on a Mac, so that may be an issue specific to your setup.

Inductive charging is quite efficient but there is about 10-15% loss compared to wired last I'd seen.

So what a pain. you are not at home you have to take a puck with you? or how about car charging when in a holder? there are too many places I plug my phone in that I dont want to use wireless charging. I dont see this happening anytime soon.

I haven't experienced that either on my iPhone nor on any Mac though I rarely use BT on a Mac, so that may be an issue specific to your setup.

It must be an android thing. Bluetooth has been crap on every phone I've had since the S3. I still use a S5 and S10 and it still sucks. Perhaps it's just Samsung who doesn't know bluetooth.

Back