AppleCare+ now covers two incidents of accidental damage every 12 months

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Most Apple devices come backed by a one-year limited warranty and 90 days of free tech support but if you’re looking to extend that out, AppleCare+ is certainly worth a look. Even if you are incredibly careful with your hardware, accidents do occasionally happen and sometimes, they aren't even technically your fault.

With everything going on this week in the world of Apple including new product announcements and its ongoing feud with Epic Games, it would have been easy to overlook the fact that the company quietly updated its AppleCare+ protection plan.

As MacRumors highlights, the revised AppleCare+ plan now covers two incidents of accidental damage protection every 12 months. Up to this point, the plan afforded two incidents of accidental damage coverage every 24 months.

The more consumer-friendly policy appears to span all devices eligible for AppleCare+ coverage including the iPhone, Apple Watch, Mac, HomePod, iPod and iPad.

Additional service fees and deductibles may also apply depending on the item and incident being covered. For example, with the iPhone, you’ll pay a $29 fee for screen damage or $99 to fix any other accidental damage. A one-time fee of $149 will pay to have the device replaced if lost or stolen should you happen to have the theft and loss add-on.

Image credit: Elizaveta Galitckaia, Hadrian

Permalink to story.

In all my years of iPhone ownership, since iPhone 1, I have only needed to replace my iPhone once and screen twice and I've never carried Applecare.

My iPhone 6 Plus dropped into beach water when I was in Seychelles, shorted out and I needed a full replacement to the tune of $350 or so.

My iPhone 6s Plus fell from my lap - less than 3 feet and the screen was shattered. Another $350 or so.

My iPhone XS Max, during this past March, simply gave out. The screen started dying and it just stopped working after almost 2 years of ownership and constant use. I found a street vendor to do it, costing about $250 , and I had no choice because apple stores were closed.

My XS Max is the longest I've had an iPhone (24 months) and I can say that although I've never had applecare, I could see getting it so long as they are willing to cover 2 incidences of breakage.

In all my years of iPhone ownership, since iPhone 1, I have only needed to replace my iPhone once and screen twice and I've never carried Applecare.

My iPhone 6 Plus dropped into beach water when I was in Seychelles, shorted out and I needed a full replacement to the tune of $350 or so.

My iPhone 6s Plus fell from my lap - less than 3 feet and the screen was shattered. Another $350 or so.

My iPhone XS Max, during this past March, simply gave out. The screen started dying and it just stopped working after almost 2 years of ownership and constant use. I found a street vendor to do it, costing about $250 , and I had no choice because apple stores were closed.

My XS Max is the longest I've had an iPhone (24 months) and I can say that although I've never had applecare, I could see getting it so long as they are willing to cover 2 incidences of breakage.
You either can afford to fix them every time the screen cracks, or use a case. That's ten years without cracked phones for me. I always sell them though, or else I would not be replacing my phones as often.

Back