Apple's MacBook Pros will soon ship with AMD Pro Vega GPUs

Polycount

Staff

Apple has never been the go-to laptop maker for users who care about pure performance, but that might be about to change; if only slightly. At an event today, Apple unveiled a host of new products, most of which were updated versions of old devices, such as the new Mac Mini or the 2018 button-free iPad Pro.

However, Apple also revealed that it's 15-inch MacBook Pro is due for an upgrade, in the form of AMD's Radeon Pro Vega-series GPUs. According to The Verge, Apple believes the new Vega chips will offer "up to" a 60 percent performance boost over previous MacBook Pro GPUs.

"...Apple believes the new Vega chips will offer 'up to' a 60 percent performance boost over previous MacBook Pro GPUs."

The Radeon Pro Vega 20 and the Radeon Pro Vega 16 will reportedly be the 15-inch MacBook Pro's primary GPU options beginning on November 14. There's no word regarding whether or not the 13-inch MacBook Pro will receive similar hardware.

If you're in the market for a new MacBook but you don't care about upgraded graphical prowess, the current 15-inch MacBook Pro starts at $2,399, while the 13-inch model's base price is $1,299. If you need something ultra-portable, the new 13-inch MacBook Air is also available now, and it begins at $1,199.

Permalink to story.

Wait wait, so there is a new MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar coming back out??? Because the MacBook Pro 15" was just updated this year, but was the Touch Bar one. There hasn't been a 15" MacBook Pro since 2015.

So... Apple is actually trying to do something about the fact that their computer's has been overpriced as hell compared to the performance. They're fixing it by dumping a $2399 STARTING pricetag on a 15". My 17" Acer has got a lot of cool touchpad features and and likely somewhat same specs (it's even 3.5 years old), and that was only $959 (and this is in DK with 25% vat and other things like it).

I don't hope Apple expects to win over and PC enthusiasts, cuz price of performance, boi it's not looking good.

Interesting how all the comments I've posted today have vanished. Wonder if this one will survive..
I've noticed this recently as well but they seem to be extremely targeted, pretty certain someone at TechSpot is going overboard filtering out whatever he/she deems as even remotely negative comments and just deletes them. It's a shame really, the reason I've stopped using TechSpot as my primary website is due to the nazi like comment filtering. Calling someone who is obviously trolling out, isn't an offense and mentioning Pro AMD TechSpot members in the comment sections of AMD or Nvidia reviews isn't offensive either but got taken down as too "personal" when I queried it. Pathetic really when you consider they post articles with swear words in or wildly politicised game reviews but going "hey TechSpot member, check out how your favorite GPU team did in this review" is considered personally attacking someone...

Yep I had also had a comment removed the other day. I dont really know why, didnt say anything bad in it. I think it was auto generated, it happened like really fast so I doubt they have someone doing anything.

Which means the new update will have 4 less CU than the Intel Integrated circuits use, so one can expect even worse than 1050ti performance, not close to competitors and I doubt the price stay unchanged.

There should be a class-action lawsuit against Apple for using the moniker "Pro" in these paltry, pathetic little toys. Also, anybody who buys this garbage should have to help pay out the court costs.

Why would Techspot even cover such a terrible piece of tech? Apple hasn't been relevant in computing for a decade, and even before that only for a few weeks.

Back