Applying thermal paste to heatsink 'pre-loaded' with Thermal Paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus

Hi, im just in the process of building my brothers computer. I bought some artci silver thermal paste and planned on using it, but reading the AMD instructon booklet that came with the AM2 3700+ X2, it says that the heatsink provided already has thermal paste applied to it, and it does. i was wondering if that is enough, and that i should just slap it on the processor with that stuff on, or should i add teh artic silever (do you put it on the processor surface) as well and have them both? I heard that too much is just as bad as too little, so what should i do?

All I've ever run in my computers are AMD chips. The pre applied thermal paste is enough. You don't need to add any more. I overclock my chips and I haven't run into any problems as of yet with overheating.

The pre-applied thermal paste is the cheep silicon based stuff that does a poor job of conducting heat. I recomend you remove the pre-applied thermal paste (use 99% isoproponol or acetone) and apply the artic silver in the thinnest layer possible that still covers the entire cpu.

dmill89 said:
The pre-applied thermal paste is the cheep silicon based stuff that does a poor job of conducting heat. I recomend you remove the pre-applied thermal paste (use 99% isoproponol or acetone) and apply the artic silver in the thinnest layer possible that still covers the entire cpu.
Dont' cover the whole CPU, read the instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2amdas5.html.

If you have the heatspreader on (which all X2s have, I think), then all you need to do according to the instructions above is to put a small dot the size of 1.5 grains of uncooked short-white-rice in the middle...

Also, remember to remove the pre-applied gunk before you use the AS5, you DO NOT want a dual-layer thermal-grease application.

Then you guys are doing something wrong. I've been running AMD chips for quite a few years now and only used the pre applied compound, AND I overclock my chips WITHOUT any additional coolingl. Never had the slightest problems.

sghiznaneck said:
Then you guys are doing something wrong. I've been running AMD chips for quite a few years now and only used the pre applied compound, AND I overclock my chips WITHOUT any additional coolingl. Never had the slightest problems.
Sure, you might not have any problems at like 55C - 60C probably, but that doesn't mean that it's good for the chip.

agi_shi said:
Dont' cover the whole CPU, read the instructions here: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2amdas5.html.

If you have the heatspreader on (which all X2s have, I think), then all you need to do according to the instructions above is to put a small dot the size of 1.5 grains of uncooked short-white-rice in the middle...

Either way will work. Personally I like to spread it out with an old credit card to makesure I have enough to cover the chip fully.However you can just apply a dot in the center and let the heatsink spread it.

sghiznaneck said:
Then you guys are doing something wrong. I've been running AMD chips for quite a few years now and only used the pre applied compound, AND I overclock my chips WITHOUT any additional coolingl. Never had the slightest problems

As agi_shi said it will work but the chip will run hotter which can lead to reduced stability and chip life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back