Arctic silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripken204

i no nothing about therman paste so plz help.. i am going to get the zalman CNPS7700 and it comes with thermal paste, i was wondering if i could just by some arctic silver and use that instead of the thermal paste?

also how much of it would i need if um getting an amd 64 3500

You can always use a different thermal paste then the one supplied by the HSF. For an Athlon64 you just need enough to cover the whole surface of the IHS (integrated heat spreader). Have a look HERE.

If you look on the Arctic Silver web site, it tells you not to spread it all over the head spreader as in the picture. It tells you to put a small amount, about the size of half a grain of rice, in the center of the heat spreader. The pressure from mounting the heat sink will spread out the compound into a thin layer which will cover the area that is needed. Completely covering the heat spreader in Arctic Silver will cause the compound to run down the sides of the chip.

I use very little on the core of my XP, not the entire top. Only the core will be in contact with the HSF.

hmm

i bought artic silver 5 awhile ago from newegg. It works great keeping my comp cool. If you buy the larger size its around 13 bucks which is totally worth it. All you have to do is put a little like the site recommended it spreads pretty far once it starts heating up.

Just applying it to the CPu isn't the whole process. You need to prepare the surface of the heat sink bottom as well. I'm assuming if it's a 770 then you have a P4 or AMD64? Here are the instructions for applying the Arctic Silver5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back