Are nvcpl and i386 harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

top_model_guy

Today I was cleaning out my startup program and services and used an online process site to see which programs should be stopped, that's when I found that nvcpl.dll was a possible trojan. That's when I searched to find it and delete its files, which I found in multiple places including C:\i386 (which is a folder I have no idea why I have it but it has alot of files. Are these two harmful for my computer and should they each be deleted?
All Your input is appreciated. Thanks!

The word is "Possible"

nvcpl.dll = Nvidia Control panel related file.

If you suspect its a trojan, then get a third party scanner to look at it, such as Trendmicro's Housecall etc. Don't clean things manually unless you know for sure that the files in question are malware. Some malware likes to hide itself with legit system names, so there is a chance you may delete the wrong ones.
Eg. svchost (legit) / scvhost (malware)

as far as driver related files go, there should be copies of it in the correct locations (C:\...\drivers etc). You can confirm this by googling the path names and see if they belong to it.

I think the i386 folder is a backup of your Windows files, or at least one of those folders it references setup files etc when a winxp cd is not available/not needed.

C:\i386 files are critical to the operation of Windows and that is why certain trojans and evil doers hide out there. Mainly this is the folder where a number of files used to install Windows, or to rebuild, update, modify, and repair Windows. They have duplicates elsewhere in Windows... Sometimes they are also called CABS folders, but you have serious problems once this folder is gone or cleaned out.
The files don't use much space. Usually they can be cleaned out by any good antivirus or antispyware program... But it is often necessary to reboot and again run your removal tools in SAFE MODE because a number of the evil doers that lurk there are trained to hide out in resident memory during searches. You may find that even a third run of the removal tools is necessary for some infestations.

Oh, then I think they shouldn't be harmful because I ran a virus scan on the folder and nothing came up...also the nvcpl can just be the nvidia control because I have always seen the icon down there and do have them, but I already took that file from the start up list, will this cause problems? If so how do I put it back?

but I already took that file from the start up list, will this cause problems? If so how do I put it back?
same way that you disabled it but reversed. So if you use msconfig just go back and tick the checkbox or if you used a different program, then use that.

I can't do that because I didn't disable it (I didn't know how to at first) I deleted it--it is no longer in the list. But so far I don't see any problems.

well if you do run into problems, then simply reinstall the nvidia driver set, which should set things straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back