As the AI race unfolds, OpenAI keeps the lead and unveils GPT-4

Julio Franco

Staff member
Why it matters: OpenAI launched GPT-4 this week, an update to its popular language model and technology that aims to improve precision and is designed to act as an underlying engine for chatbots, search engines, online tutors, and more. GPT-4 is now available to paid subscribers and there's a waitlist to use the model via API. Furthermore, the AI race is on, with "AI startups" raising funds like there is no tomorrow and big tech companies like Google scrambling to make it known that they are not so far behind.

GPT-4 has been in development for most of the past year, after GPT-3 was quietly released in mid 2020 and then ChatGPT took the world by storm late last year. The recent rise in popularity of ChatGPT and everything AI has been meteoric, to say the least. The AI platform in January reached 100 million users after just two months of public availability. OpenAI used a fine-tuned model for ChatGPT which they called GPT-3.5.

Now GPT-4 improves upon that, and it's now a multimodal large language model (MLLM), which means it can respond to both text and images. GPT-4 learns by analyzing huge amounts of data from the internet and has many applications for businesses, including automating the work of paralegals, and moderators of content on the internet. However, as with its predecessor, it has some human-like limitations that may still present a challenge. The language model can ace some standardized tests, but still go wrong on simpler queries.

Despite this, OpenAI's GPT-4 has already attracted interest from companies such as Morgan Stanley, Salesforce, Duolingo, and online education firm Khan Academy. OpenAI and Microsoft already have a close relationship, with the software giant having invested over $13 billion in the organization in the last few years, getting them exclusive rights to license OpenAI's technology. Case in point, if you have used Bing Chat in the past few weeks, you have literally been beta testing GPT-4 ahead of the official release.

OpenAI acknowledges that GPT-4 remains flawed and limited, however the update represents a significant step forward in its capabilities. The model is more creative than before and is capable of learning patterns of use and text style to match the desired output. GPT-4 can understand images, use them as inputs, describe them as text, or also contextualize based on them.

Although OpenAI is not interested in explaining how GPT-4 really differs or how it's improved internally to work better, it is measurably more capable as it can have longer conversations, taking in about eight times more text than ChatGPT, from around 3,000 words in the previous version to processing up to 25,000 words in its latest revision.

GPT-4 is now available to users who pay for ChatGPT Plus (or via Bing Chat), while API access is being granted to developers on OpenAI's waitlist.

Also read: ChatGPT was made possible thanks to tens of thousands of Nvidia GPUs, which Microsoft is now upgrading

Reactions have been immediate. Check out some of the more interesting applications and related discussions around this announcement for further reference:

Permalink to story.

AI been overhyped for years now, and this is all we got now, a "smarter" chatbot to cheat your work, exam and undo the hard work of the people who have been working on things for months, in seconds.

A dangerous tool to kick people out of their desks, lose their jobs, lose their customers.

Artist: Replaced by AI.
Lawyers: Replaced by AI.
People Jobs: Replaced by AI

AI is nothing but a stupid tool to replace people, and the only winner is companies laying off people and increasing their profits.

Last edited:
AI is nothing but a stupid tool to replace stupid people, and the only winner is companies laying off people and increasing their profits.
FTFY ;)

Man, I have to laugh about this one -
Can GPT-4 code an entire game for you? Yes, yes it can. Here's how I recreated a Snake game that runs in your browser using Chat GPT-4 and
@Replit, with ZERO knowledge of Javascript all in less than 20 mins
I cannot wait until this guy takes the next step, uses AI to write his resume and cover letter, then promptly blows his interview because he is one of those stupid people that thinks AI makes him smart.

It also reminds me of this
and
;)

I'm no "AI" but since so many companies throwing money at anything with an A and a I in it's title... I think other old timers like me are starting to smell something that occured in the early 2000's... you know it was called a "Bubble" ... and it was about throwing money at anything that was called a "startup" ...

AI been overhyped for years now, and this is all we got now, a "smarter" chatbot to cheat your work, exam and undo the hard work of the people who have been working on things for months, in seconds.

A dangerous tool to kick people out of their desks, lose their jobs, lose their customers.

AI is nothing but a stupid tool to replace people, and the only winner is companies laying off people and increasing their profits.
What are you saying about people that a "stupid" AI can replace them?

Be careful how loosely you wear your emotions on your sleeves.

I like how with openGPT 3.5 and now 4, OpenAI has gone from an open source non profit to being worth BILLIONS and suddenly having for profit sections making bank. Funny how that works.

What are you saying about people that a "stupid" AI can replace them?

Be careful how loosely you wear your emotions on your sleeves.
I don't mean any offense to anyone.
My statement was clear. What I meant by "stupid AI" is that this artificial computer will always be stupid, and will always need humans to make it less stupid, and it will NEVER BE AS SMART AS HUMANS.

So, I'm not saying humans are the equivalent of a "stupid AI" as you misinterpreted.

Companies just want this stupid AI to get the job done as efficiently as possible and with zero expenses, increasing profits for them. Simple 🤷

AI can already create movies that are as realistic and believable as this

It will never pass for real intelligence but it can sure waste your time

This AI has been a help to me in IT. We run lean as all IT staff does and there's too much to learn. If we can work together to write scripts to automate tasks that would have to be done manually, it really helps.

Let's take something that can be trained to hate humans, and make it better and easier to train to hate and fool humans ... perfect .. what could go wrong!

But still no Holodeck. So, no replacement for prostitutes. They are our last line of defense.

So last night I had to write some content about 12 different city's in 2 countries. My approach was, lets use GPT to form a "What are the best things todo in city X" - it spitted out the most populair things and in detail within seconds. I would have had to figure it out, do research and on it's own waste hours on that topic.

I just form a little story around it and voila. Made my job quite easier.

As I said before. Open AI isn't really an AI. It's a pattern recognition tool with zero true intelligence, no more artificially intelligent than any bit of software written in the last 30 years. It has zero self-awareness etc. I wish this use of AI would go away so we could see where true AI is being developed.

So last night I had to write some content about 12 different city's in 2 countries. My approach was, lets use GPT to form a "What are the best things todo in city X" - it spitted out the most populair things and in detail within seconds. I would have had to figure it out, do research and on it's own waste hours on that topic.

I just form a little story around it and voila. Made my job quite easier.
Thats what AI is supposed to do.
Makes life easier, better, and eliminate routine tasks, and most importantly, increase your productivity levels significantly.

As I said before. Open AI isn't really an AI. It's a pattern recognition tool with zero true intelligence, no more artificially intelligent than any bit of software written in the last 30 years. It has zero self-awareness etc. I wish this use of AI would go away so we could see where true AI is being developed.
You're right. It's just a "smarter" chatbot. Nothing special or groundbreaking, really...

Back