Asking for help once again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computergeek564

LookingAround knows that I recently fixed an issue with Networked Drives.

So, I have a music come file server downstairs without a Screen, Mouse or keyboard. Everything is done either via my Laptop, or iPod Touch using the application VNC Server/Viewer.

Now, VNC has decided to pack up on me. So I cannot shut down the machine that way. And I have configured the button on the computer to Hibernate.

I have had a troll around the internet to see if there is other ways that I can go about this. & I can.

I can use the Shutdown.exe -i shortcut I have created on my desktop of the Laptop.
I also downloaded this http://www.matcode.com/remoteshutdown.htm

Two resources I used to help me here, were these:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article36917.aspx
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/remote-shutdown-command/

On the second link it says:
Firstly, in order to remotely shutdown a computer on your network, you’ll need to make sure you have Administrative access to that computer. If you’re on a home network, the best way to do this is to make sure all computers are in the same workgroup and that they all have at least one Administrator account with the same user name and password.

You can also have different Administrator account names across computers, but then you’ll need to make sure you add the Administrator account of one computer to the account list on the other computers. You’ll also need to know all the names of the other computers on the network. You can do that by going to Control Panel and then clicking on System. Then click on the Computer Name tab.

Now, on the host machine (music/file server) I disabled the logon screen. Via control userpasswords2

What if I dont want the Welcome Screen OR the classic prompt? Can I disable both?

To Login automatically to a user account, follow the instructions below:

1) Click on Run
2) Type in the following command and click OK

control userpasswords2

3) Highlight the user you want to log into automatically, then uncheck the box for

"Users must enter a username and password to use this computer"

4) Click on Apply and you'll be asked to verify the username and password to log in automatically
5) Click OK and the next time you restart your computer, you'll automatically be logged in without having the classic prompt or Welcome Screen.

I removed this so I can just turn on the PC without having to insert a user name or password every time I decided to turn on the computer.

So, would anyone mind helping me, configure the machine so I can shut it down remotely?

Firstly, in order to remotely shutdown a computer on your network, you’ll need to make sure you have Administrative access to that computer. If you’re on a home network, the best way to do this is to make sure all computers are in the same workgroup and that they all have at least one Administrator account with the same user name and password. With out this u can't do jack, so i would " re set it up" or if u have a media edition computer with a irblaser and receiver u can use a infared remote, now i have done some that have a r/f remote, but are subject to c/b brodcasts or ham radio if somone is keying the mike with a linniar 1000 amp it could cause some issues. there is some good vpn controle software out there (Andover Controles has automation software). u can also install a bkdoor program like ....... the "cow" program where u have full acsess to the computer screen and it's functions..... the cow progam is fun on windows 98-early xp.... if u have any trouble msg me and i'll see what i can come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back