Asus A9600 PRO on 64-bit System/OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP Pro x64
MSI K8M800-CE
AMD Athlon 64 2800

The problem as it stands, comes and goes as it see's fit.

I may or may not be doing anything particularly demanding of my system when suddenly my monitor will turn off, and go to standby. Or I will recivie a message saying 'no input signal' or 'out of range'

I can go days at a time with out a problem, and sometimes it happens several times an hour. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, using the Ati drivers for Windows XP Pro, and Windows XP Pro 64-bit (which really mess it up worse)

Before I upgraded to my new board and processor (Previous was a KM4..something, with an AMD 2500 Processor), the problem was still the same (random shutting off), as well as when running it on Windows 2000.

The only way to fix the problem temp. is to restart the computer, and no ammount of waiting brings it back on. (My sound recently has been going in and out, maybe it is related? I'm not sure)

given that you had trouble on multiple operating systems and with numerous driver versions, i'd be mighty suspicious of faulty hardware. if you have another card, try using that instead of the 9600 and see how it goes. usually, a problem like this can be solved by swapping out parts, but i know that not everyone has extra parts laying around.

Hmmm, yes, it is the next step. I'm in the proccess of buying a new case and hard disk drive. (I believe mine may be going out, which could attribute to the problem?) I hold the 3 year warrenty on the part through the supplyer so getting a new one shouldn't take any time at all.

However...

I noted last night as I played music with visulization, the problem arrose. Not only did my video quit, but my sound ceased as well. I waited sometime to see if at least my sound might resume but nothing. The computer was still running it seemed, my dsl modem was informing me of outgoing and ingoing data.

I wonder if maybe its the voltage settings or something similar on the card. When all's said and done, I'm going to just get another one and se eif the problem persists. I've not another card, but onboard. I haven't really tested the onboard video to any high levels.

Another problem could be my powersupply, it is the same one I used for both OS/Boards the card was running on.

Something key I left out. The computer it was running on before, my Bosses, it never had the problem. So again, it falls to me on either A. Settings. B. Hard Drive. C. Power Supply and D. um, CD-ROM? only the last three parts could cause it I believe, since they are the only ones that carried over when I upgraded my system.

Anyways, thank you very much for the help and I'm going to be sure to use this sitemore often. (as well as his thread, as i just like discussing problems in general, even if it isn't to fix them. Best way to learn!)

if you can, take it to a local pc repair shop. they'll have plenty of known good parts to swap out, should the problem elude you. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back