ASUS P5N32-SLI PREMIUM/WiFi-AP Vs. P5W DH Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I am planning on building a gaming PC for myself. After some research I am having trouble deciding between these mobo: -
1. ASUS P5N32-SLI PREMIUM/WiFi-AP nVIDIA nFORCE 590 SLI CHIPSET with eVGA GeForce 7950 GX2 Video Card
2. ASUS P5W DH Deluxe with Sapphire Radeon X1950 XTX 512MB

I plan to use crossfire/SLI (will buy the 2nd card after a couple of months) and 3 SATA disks in raid 5 config as I will be using the same PC for wrk and require data back-up.

In either case I would have the following components: -
- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - 2.40GHz 4MB Shared L2
- Seagate 3.0Gbps 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Barracuda 7200.10
- NEC ND-3550A 16X DVD+/-RW
- OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-1000 4-4-4-15

Also, need to decide on the case & power supply + cooling system (no water for me).

I would appreciate if the folks could help me make a decision on the mobo. Also, if there is an alternate mobo or any other component that you would suggest.

Thanks!

Since you want the super high-end I'd wait a month for Geforce 8800 and the new Nforce Intel edition mobos.

The P5W DH has easy back-up for driverless raid.

I like this COOLER MASTER Praetorian Aluminum ATX Tower Case, and a 700w FSP power supply. It is the same one as the 700w OCZ GameXstream and some others made by FSP. It is powerful enough for Quad SLi, it should run G80 well too.

For cooling stock will be fine. If you want more quiet a Freezer7 pro, and if you want to overclock a Scythe SCINF-1000. If you do want to overclock deficiently go with a P5W DH.

I may have read something wrong but to me the +12v rail looks small. it should have atleast 24 volts and 30 would be better.

Thanks!

One doubt, if I go for P5W then waiting for Geforce 8800 is useless, right? ATI would be the way to go then. I would be definately over-clocking for just for the fun of it :)

Not useless, but not SLi. G80 is going to be great. Then again R600 going to be great too. R600 is only a few more month off. I guess you would be waiting forever if you just wait for the next best thing. I think G80 is worth a little wait.

Still I'm keeping with my x1900XT for a few years. I think it will be good enough for me until Dx10 takes over.

Thanks Mirob! If I understand the tech w/ crossfire you don't need identical cards, right? So if I buy a X1950 XTX can't a I get the lastest n greatest crossfire card later or move to Dx10. And with SLi I need to have matching cards.

Anyways, the mobo choice is part of future proofing. I am hoping either of them would be able to support h/w coming out in the next yr or so which I can live for another year or 2.

=========
Any thoughts? Specially any good/bad experiences with either of these mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back