Asus ROG Flow X16 Gaming Laptop Review

I've learned to stop wasting my money on gaming laptops; they are about 2000% more likely to die than anything I have ever owned. It's the equivalent to buying an Apple II now. To this point my last Asus gaming laptop overheated and died in 2.5 years. Save your money; get a steam deck or use your phone. Put that extra cash towards your desktop gaming pc.

Perfect notebook/laptop for mobility... I really like the X16 and can not wait until they release a new Ryzen version of it in a few months.

I'll be picking one of those up...
The real kicker will be the RTX 4000 models. The efficiency of TSMC 4n cannot be understated, and given what we have seen on desktop the mobile 4070 and 4080 are gonna be bangers.

I've learned to stop wasting my money on gaming laptops; they are about 2000% more likely to die than anything I have ever owned. It's the equivalent to buying an Apple II now. To this point my last Asus gaming laptop overheated and died in 2.5 years. Save your money; get a steam deck or use your phone. Put that extra cash towards your desktop gaming pc.
Strange, my alienware 15r2 is still going strong nearly 8 years later. Perhaps the problem is not gaming laptops but rather asus?

There's absolutely no point getting it at that price. If you can find it at half the price (which is more what it is worth now), then sure. But as said, with the Ryzen 7040 series and RTX 4070 coming out, it's going to be trounced pretty soon.

Strange, my alienware 15r2 is still going strong nearly 8 years later. Perhaps the problem is not gaming laptops but rather asus?
My ASUS ROG G551JX would like to know your current location.

Jokes aside...
It's a nearly 8 years old PC, that I used for 5 years before changing it for my current desktop.
(30fps in AC odyssey, certified *** kicking performances, I guess)

Pretty sure the problems that let a PC to RIP aren't ASUS related or even gaming laptop exclusive.

1) Asus is a terrible brand (though Acer and some HPs are even worse) because they make newer models like hotcakes and they stop carrying older models. Also they have a lot of keyboard and battery issues, not to mention driver issues (I had several Asus laptops, also still have a Zenbook FLIP and I also had a ROG desktop). I also can report many thermal throttling or noisy issues. I won't buy an Asus anytime soon.

2) I am very happy with my Surface Pro 8 + eGPU and I think the best option would be to buy a powerful and slick Dell with iGPU for example and then use a TB eGPU at home.

I don't agree with those that a desktop is the way to go, people just have to choose well
- if you buy a good laptop with 32 GB RAM (or 16 with expansion possibilities)
- M2 slot
- Thunderbolt
- app that allows battery to stop charging at 60 or 80% when plugged in

You'll be fine

Undervolting might help. You would lose some performance but the heat, noise would definitely go down.

The real kicker will be the RTX 4000 models. The efficiency of TSMC 4n cannot be understated, and given what we have seen on desktop the mobile 4070 and 4080 are gonna be bangers.
But they will not compete with AMD's APU + mobile GPU on efficiency..

1) Asus is a terrible brand (though Acer and some HPs are even worse) because they make newer models like hotcakes and they stop carrying older models. Also they have a lot of keyboard and battery issues, not to mention driver issues (I had several Asus laptops, also still have a Zenbook FLIP and I also had a ROG desktop). I also can report many thermal throttling or noisy issues. I won't buy an Asus anytime soon.

2) I am very happy with my Surface Pro 8 + eGPU and I think the best option would be to buy a powerful and slick Dell with iGPU for example and then use a TB eGPU at home.

I don't agree with those that a desktop is the way to go, people just have to choose well
- if you buy a good laptop with 32 GB RAM (or 16 with expansion possibilities)
- M2 slot
- Thunderbolt
- app that allows battery to stop charging at 60 or 80% when plugged in

You'll be fine
Sounds like my ROG Strix G15, spare M.2, no thunderbolt as it was AMD, but the battery is fine, has built in battery saver in the Armoury crate program, came with 32gb ram and an 3080 alongside the AMD RX5900.
Oh and a 3 year warranty to boot here in the UK.

2 years in its still running fine, no problems to speak of so far (touches wood) no thermal issues either as it has Cryonaught liquid metal from the factory.

Time will tell I guess.

Sounds like my ROG Strix G15, [...]2 years in its still running fine, no problems to speak of so far (touches wood) no thermal issues either .
I'm glad to hear that, what I said is talking generally, of course there are exceptions and I hope your model is an exception. Dell or Apple laptops used to be one of the best, but Apple and Dell had their share of problematic models, but they are more exceptions than the rule.

Back