Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 Review: Zen 2 Turbo-Charged

Nice looking laptop, but I cant stand the "screen hinge becomes back of laptop" design. Seen to many of those wear out within a year or two from repeated use and stress.

Well, I hope Asus has upgraded their keyboard under the keys. I'm using a similar one and going on 3 years it's dying already (first time with a laptop for me).

So it’s a gaming laptop that’s better than the competition at everything except gaming.

Cant really take it seriously as a productivity machine if it doesn’t have wired networking. And in this day and age with no webcam no one is buying this for the office.

AMD still has a long way to go with their marketing I guess... their CPU is better than anything Intel can throw at them, yet the best GPU you can get is a 2060 max q?!?

Call me when a 2080 laptop has an amd inside...

AMD still has a long way to go with their marketing I guess... their CPU is better than anything Intel can throw at them, yet the best GPU you can get is a 2060 max q?!?

Call me when a 2080 laptop has an amd inside...
Nobody is going to bother engineering such a machine now, the RTX 2000 series is old, we have promising new GPUs coming out this year.

I would actually get one of these.

Edit: I take that back, no network card kinda kills it for me.

This would be no sale for me also. While Wifi 6 is nice I need a wired ethernet port for when I decided I need to do work that is latency and performance sensitive wifi is out.

WiFi 6 comes with a 10ms latency improvement.

Definitely and improvement over Wifi 5(AC) but slower than a wired connection when its comes to Jitter and latency. WiFi 6 will surpass 1Gbps Ethernet for throughput, but is still half duplex vs full duplex wired connection.

This review touches on that with the UDP connection quality graph.

“I really like this keyboard. But I have to remember not to connect the device to the internet or else my benchmark scores will be automatically updated to the servers and I’ll be in trouble”

WiFi 6 comes with a 10ms latency improvement.
*under ideal circumstances

WiFi sounds great, but the reality is that you never see the full promised speeds or latencies, especially in an office setting with multiple users, WiFi can quickly come to a halt.

Wireless is a nice convenience, but as infastructure guys will tell you, it is no proper replacement for a wired connection.

*under ideal circumstances

WiFi sounds great, but the reality is that you never see the full promised speeds or latencies, especially in an office setting with multiple users, WiFi can quickly come to a halt.

Wireless is a nice convenience, but as infastructure guys will tell you, it is no proper replacement for a wired connection.

I wasn't making a statement on any of that. I merely pointed out one of the improvements.

This Zephyrus G14 is almost perfect, except for the screen, at 14-21ms response time it might as well be a 60hz screen despite claiming a 120hz refresh. I'm wondering why this review doesn't mention about this issue...

Lack of a webcam is a big negative for me; a lesser issue is no wired networking. I will definitely go AMD in my next high-end laptop but hope more selections focused on office work will arrive.

Back