AT&T announces three more cities set to receive a true 5G network this year

Polycount

In brief: In January, AT&T announced their ambitious plan to bring 5G network connectivity to a whopping 12 cities by the end of 2018. A month later, the company listed the first three cities set to receive the tech; Dallas, Waco, and Atlanta. Now, AT&T has announced the next three cities on their 5G list: Charlotte, Raleigh, and Oklahoma City.

The next evolution of wireless connectivity could be coming sooner than we thought. Earlier this year, AT&T announced their plans to bring full 5G network connectivity to a dozen cities by the end of 2018.

The company later announced the first three cities set to receive the tech: Dallas, Waco, and Atlanta. Now, roughly halfway through the year, AT&T says the three more cities will get a true 5G network - Charlotte, Raleigh, and Oklahoma City.

If you're wondering why AT&T is planning to roll out 5G networks to relatively small cities before the likes of San Francisco or New York, the company's answer is simple: "One competitor recently boasted 'New York matters more than Waco' when discussing their future plans," AT&T explained in a press release. "We politely disagree – all Americans should have access to next-gen connectivity to avoid a new digital divide."

Before you get too excited about the prospect of streaming Netflix at the "at least 400mbps" speeds AT&T hopes to achieve with 5G, bear in mind that no consumer devices exist that possess 5G-capable hardware.

In the aforementioned press release, AT&T's president of Technology & Operations Melissa Arnoldi did vaguely mention that the company plans to "deliver the first device" with 5G hardware this year, but she didn't offer any additional details.

As such, barring a miracle from AT&T, it could be quite some time before the most prominent device manufacturers, such as Samsung and Apple, hop on the 5G train with their flagship smartphones.

Permalink to story.

"if you're wondering why AT&T is planning to roll out 5G networks to relatively small cities"

Atlanta metropolitan area, home to 5.8 million people and the ninth-largest metropolitan area in the United States.

I don't call that small

Their next move will be the Placebo network ..... were you and your neighbor get network access but only one of you has the real 5G ..... and we'll see if there is a difference ..... LOL

Doesn't 5G only work over very small distances and have trouble going through things like walls and such? I thought there was a lot to work out before it's ready to be used.

No thanks to 5G. I don't want any of these carcinogenic waves near me or anyone I love. I'll be at my towns meeting bringing up this issue; I suggest any sane person to do the same. The people have to stand up against this crap forced down our throats.

watch?v=Bwgwe01SIMc 1:20 on Youtube. Wheeler himself admitted this is untested technology. If that isn't an immediately red flag, I don't know what is.

Doesn't 5G only work over very small distances and have trouble going through things like walls and such? I thought there was a lot to work out before it's ready to be used.

It does. Even rain drops can interfere with 5G. We'll see. You might be getting 5G outside only in clear weather.

Funny how we're backward where Japan and most of Asian has 7G already. USA stuck on 4G LTE for a couple of years now we all have to run out and get 5G or better phones that support those chip-sets. Cell towers all of them need to be upgraded. Right now it's a hit or miss as if those towers get filled up with callers they can't even handle all the calls and those that get drop or Tier 2, Tier 3 as Tier 1 gets priority. But can also be dropped as well.

Back