AT&T to sell Galaxy S5, Gear devices early next month starting at $199

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung galaxy s5 samsung smartphone att galaxy s5 gear

AT&T on Thursday revealed the upcoming Samsung Galaxy S5 will launch in early April priced at $199.99 with a two-year service agreement or $649.99 sans contract. Those interested in taking advantage of AT&T’s early upgrade program, Next, can expect to pay a minimum of $25 per month as part of the 18-month program or $32.50 per month over 12 months.

When Samsung first unveiled the Galaxy S5 last month at Mobile World Congress, they said it would ship globally on April 11. But as is common with wireless carriers, that doesn’t always happen and sometimes they release devices on their own schedule. That explains why AT&T’s presser on the matter lists the release date as early April instead of April 11. I wouldn’t expect it to arrive any earlier than Samsung’s given date, however.

samsung galaxy s5 samsung smartphone att galaxy s5 gear

AT&T also announced that pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Gear 2, Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit smartwatches / fitness band will get underway starting tomorrow with shipping taking place early next month. The Gear 2 is priced at $299 while the Gear 2 Neo and Gear Fit will both set you back $199.

Those purchasing a Galaxy S5 can also receive $50 off the price of a Gear 2 or Gear 2 Neo, AT&T pointed out.

Pre-orders for the S5 will also be accepted starting tomorrow online and at AT&T retail stores although they’re only accepting orders for the white and black models. Those wanting a blue or copper colored handset will have to play the waiting game a bit longer.

Permalink to story.

I really want the S5 so bad I can't wait!! ..Samsung please take my Money already and shut up!!!

Since Samsung now runs Knox,since 4,3, I wont be buying a Samsung phone again which is a pity because I have been using Samsung phones since before they were popular and I like the spec's of the S5.

Since Samsung now runs Knox,since 4,3, I wont be buying a Samsung phone again which is a pity because I have been using Samsung phones since before they were popular and I like the spec's of the S5.
So why would that put you off?

I know of 2 people that have upgraded their OS's to 4,3 and have had Knox pop up saying that some app is trying to access their phone,even though they have never rooted their phone or installed any app that that didn't come from the play store.

If your upgrade your phone from 4.2.2 to 4.3 and you didn't know about Knox you are screwed if you hate 4,3 and want to downgrade back to 4,2,2 you can't because it will trip Knox and void your warranty even though you are going back to a original OS.

If I had known about Knox I wouldn't have bought the S4,the only luck I have is that I bought one of the last S4's that were still using 4.2.2 and now I'm running 4.4 without the stupid Knox bootloader.

plus you can't root your phone to get rid of ALL the bloatware that Samsung installs and I bought a 16gb phone yet only 8.8gb is usable(which isn't a biggie,because of the SD slot) but why does Samsung need 6.89gb for system memory.

I have a friend that has just updated his note2 too 4,3 and now he doesn't like his phone,he has owned a Samsung since the S1,even he is now considering another brand.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are ways around Knox. You can side root to not trip Knox. That has already been done.

The warnings you get come from the apps you downloaded that's all. Some apps give you direct access to the web ( like there may be a link in the app to access a website etc...) and Knox is basically letting you know. I have seen this in person and once the offending app is removed Knox no longer pops up.

Knox may not be perfect but it's hardly a reason not to buy a product. People who do that just don't know how or took the time to learn about the phone and it's features. Todays phones come with software, like it or not, just the way it is. You always have the option to root or just go buy some other companies phone. Just don't go crying about things you don't understand or can't figure out. Go learn about it.

So you're fine with a piece of software that stops you from downgrading an original OS.
On my friends Note2 before he ran the update he had a box pop up that warns him that he can't roll back after the update.

Knox is a stupid piece of software,I have read story's on xda where people have updated to 4.3 didn't like it went back to 4.2.2 then saw that knox was tripped and their warranty voided,updated OTA and then used odin to go back to the previous rom,before they knew what knox was.

I know there are ways around knox which why I have tried the S4 google edition rom and am now running the official 4,4(just without knox) Samsung rom.

I know about the side root option because just after I got my phone I wanted to run 4.3 and I was looking for ways but then I found a great guy on xda that removes knox and the bootloaders from the stock roms,so I'm using his 4.4 rom with a kernal that allows me to underclock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back