AT&T users: monitor your WiFi connections!

Wouldn't disabling the wifi on the phones would be simpler to do ?
I've been with att for a long time and being on a new lg phoenix 3.
I haven't seem them try to do a force connect, the phone os should have permissions setup in order to prevent that.

Wouldn't disabling the wifi on the phones would be simpler to do ?
swipping from the bottom brings Airplane Mode, WiFi & BT all accessible in one stroke( but that's iPhone). Toggling Airplane enables or disables both WiFi & BT at the same time - - that's simple to me, but knocking down WiFi is the solution here, not the HOW :grin:
I've been with att for a long time and being on a new lg phoenix 3.
I haven't seem them try to do a force connect, the phone os should have permissions setup in order to prevent that.
First you have to be near a station with the SSID = attwifi. It would autoconnect due to being an unlocked (unencrypted) channel. As far as I know (or have seen) the only control is the SSID passphrase

Sorry but that still doesn't explain why it would connect, fiddling around with the wifi settings in a smart phone will do that.
Disabling auto connect from the wifi settings in most android phones will cure that.
https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/101595
That's very specific solution (and well done I might say) - - except you have to FIRST be connected at least once. As there a likely more than just one attwifi station about town, the protection from one instance is unlikely to cover all others as connections are pair-wise unique and each station has a unique identifier.

The AT&T issue here is a non-standard connection INITIATED from the SSID, not the cell phone by a user. The cellphone becomes complicit by accepting the connection without notice. :sigh:

Back