AT&T users: monitor your WiFi connections!

MaikuTech

TS Evangelist
Wouldn't disabling the wifi on the phones would be simpler to do ?
I've been with att for a long time and being on a new lg phoenix 3.
I haven't seem them try to do a force connect, the phone os should have permissions setup in order to prevent that.

jobeard

TS Ambassador
Wouldn't disabling the wifi on the phones would be simpler to do ?
swipping from the bottom brings Airplane Mode, WiFi & BT all accessible in one stroke( but that's iPhone). Toggling Airplane enables or disables both WiFi & BT at the same time - - that's simple to me, but knocking down WiFi is the solution here, not the HOW :grin:
I've been with att for a long time and being on a new lg phoenix 3.
I haven't seem them try to do a force connect, the phone os should have permissions setup in order to prevent that.
First you have to be near a station with the SSID = attwifi. It would autoconnect due to being an unlocked (unencrypted) channel. As far as I know (or have seen) the only control is the SSID passphrase

jobeard

TS Ambassador
Sorry but that still doesn't explain why it would connect, fiddling around with the wifi settings in a smart phone will do that.
Disabling auto connect from the wifi settings in most android phones will cure that.
https://its.uiowa.edu/support/article/101595
That's very specific solution (and well done I might say) - - except you have to FIRST be connected at least once. As there a likely more than just one attwifi station about town, the protection from one instance is unlikely to cover all others as connections are pair-wise unique and each station has a unique identifier.

The AT&T issue here is a non-standard connection INITIATED from the SSID, not the cell phone by a user. The cellphone becomes complicit by accepting the connection without notice. :sigh: