ATI Radeon 4850 HD problems

I want to go into detail on this because I know that will help you solve my problem better so it might be long. Thank you in advance!

My Computer is a DELL XPS 630 - Intel® Core2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB)

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs

ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB

I have had my computer for 1 year and it has never gave me any problems. Today I got the new PC game Final Fantasy XIV which is really one of the better graphic games I have ever seen and the system requirements were pretty high. My computer fulfilled the minimum requirments and after played for about 2 hours my game froze but I could still hear the sound.

I alt tabbed and my desktop was laggy and when I would right click on the desktop the pull down menus were all plain white with no text. I restarted computer and after it would say Windows and it was done loading the screen would stay black but I could hear the sounds from the computer that it was running and I was receiving messages on AIM because it logs in automatically.

Restarted a few times and the last time I hit f2 to go to setup and the menu was really buggy with a lot of $$$$ symbols in between the words and across parts of the screen. After not using the computer for awhile it successfully turned on and I was able to see everything I used it for awhile with no problems but once I played the game I noticed the video card heated up (even though the fan works) and the game froze again and the same thing happened. I cleaned out my computer with a dust remover etc and tried again, now after a few hours of back and forth my computer stays at the black screen after windows loads even though its been off and the video card is cool. I really don't know what else to try, I updated all drivers and now I notice the video card gets pretty hot even when its sitting at the black screen after windows even though the fan on the video card is clearly running. I'm very frustrated since I waited so long to play this game and If I do need a new video card I dont really know what I should get and I keep hearing about needing power supplies for better video cards? ANY helping will be greatly appreciated and I should be on to answer any questions that might help you solve my dilemma. Thank you so much.

Back