Not open for further replies.
Current specs:

XP service pack 3
.NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Dell Precision 450
Dual Xeon 2.66Ghz
3.00 GB of Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000

Let me begin by saying that Quadro FX 1000 is a great card however it doesn’t support DirectX10. Dell Precision 450 doesn’t have a PCI-e slot so I buy AGP Radeon HD 2600 PRO since it has pretty solid reviews. Remove my old card , insert the new one and the hell begins.

The card came with the driver version 6.14. When I installed it and rebooted, the screen would turn off just before the windows login screen. So I would boot in the safe mode. Would run uninstaller, run Driver Cleaner, search for ATI registries and remove the ones the Driver Cleaner missed. Then I would install a newer version of the driver and would get with the same result. I tried these versions : 8.3, 8.49, 8.52 hot fix, 8.53. Nada. Once you are out of safe vga mode, the screen goes black. Some of the installers gave me regpermwriter.exe error. Some gave “Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware” error although they were listed as AGP Radeon 2600 HD PRO drivers.

I never was able to boot it once in normal mode , even the first time. I never had any ATI drivers previously installed on my system. So I am back to my Nvidia card. Can anybody help ? Should I give up ? Does anyone knows if there is an AGP Nvidia with DirectX10 support ?

Same problem ... temporary workaround

Hi

I have the same issue. I uninstalled Service Pack 3. Previously, it would boot up and see the Windows logo and the progress bar, which would freeze. After uninstalling Service Pack 3 I've seen no issues. Interesting thing is that Windows Update will not apply 3 updates:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB945553)

Not sure if it is related, but it is a coincidence. I'm no Windows expert, so I'm stumped and would prefer a solution than a workaround.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back