ATI Video Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarulezz

Hello, I'm new to the TechSpot Community and i have a question about the ATI video cards:
Is the HD3870 better than the HD4850?
Because I upgraded my PC and the guy that i was buying the stuff from said that he hasnt got any HD4850s in stock and instead gave me a 3870 and said that its better and its more expensive. But he sold it to me for the same price.
They are both ASUS manufacturer.

Is that true?

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=547&card2=566

Looking at the comparison, the guy was right, but i don't know why the 3870 is faster then the 4850, unless the 4850 is one of those mid range cards that was release not too long ago. Either way, i will be happy.

One thing tho, the 4850 is newer from what i believe then the 3870, so why did he charge you the same price, how much was the card anyway?

Thanks for the quick reply ;)
I live in UK and the currency is obviously pounds.
Well he wanted to charge me £129 for the HD4850.
Why did he charge me same price for the 3870?:
1. Because im his loyal customer
2. and the PC was supposed to be ready for last Saturday with the HD4850 but the delivery didnt have the card and said it will be on Monday (Yesterday) but he didnt want to be late with my order so he put the 3870 instead and said that its £20 more expensive and its better but he charged me for the same price, so i believed him and took it home and now i just wanna be sure its better.

He also said that its not about the 3000 series or the 4000 series, its about the the last 2 digits:
70 is the best in the series
50 is mid-range
and 30 is low budget

And now i just had a quick look on my receipt that he gave me and it says that the 3870 that he gave me, he overclocked it, so i think it is better, anyway im still waiting for more sure info :)

You've been duped mate. The HD 4850 is a little faster than the 9800GTX, both of which are light years ahead of the HD 3870, performance-wise. And you could have got the card from here for a little cheaper. The guy who sold the card to you is either an ***** or is deliberately misleading you. Ask for the HD 4850 or get a refund and buy the card from the link I gave you.

@Tha General, please do not give wrong advice\suggestions. Do your homework before posting, and do not judge a card by its clock speed and memory bandwidth alone. The FLOPS rating is a far better measure of real-life performance, among others.

Edit: You know what, i am going to act like i didn't read that and ignore you.
Thats all i am going to say.

Do that and be like a few other outspoken members on this board. You'll still be wrong and leading people down a garden path.

Rage is absolutely right. The 4850 is the superior card. The OP did not get the truth. But.. I've seen all kinds of "techs" out there that claim how smart they are, how qualified they are, yet they constantly shove their feet squarely in their mouthes.

Dude, nobody has the right to tell someone what they can't say. All because you may see my advice to be wrong, doesn't mean i am, and who cares if i am wrong, i don't know everything. So for someone to say please do not give wrong advice\suggestions, thats unfair and for someone to say that, they should be ashamed of theirself.

I post on forums all the time, people give advice, tips, information, could be wrong, could be correct, thats when everyone is suppose to come together and help each other out.

But for someone to tell me, i can't give advice, because they feel like i am wrong. Please, rage is the one who is unkind and shows his ignorance and if you agree, well the same applys.

I don't think I was rude. And you were giving wrong advice, weren't you? I did help you out by telling you what to look out for when comparing video cards didn't I? So why are you getting so angry?

Dude, nobody has the right to tell someone what they can't say. All because you may see my advice to be wrong, doesn't mean i am, and who cares if i am wrong, i don't know everything. So for someone to say please do not give wrong advice\suggestions, thats unfair and for someone to say that, they should be ashamed of theirself.

I post on forums all the time, people give advice, tips, information, could be wrong, could be correct, thats when everyone is suppose to come together and help each other out.

But for someone to tell me, i can't give advice, because they feel like i am wrong. Please, rage is the one who is unkind and shows his ignorance and if you agree, well the same applys.

Personally I've encountered a situation where I gave some advise not considering a bios update, in the motherboards section, swiftly corrected it though. Yes its okay to be wrong...sometimes. Here though in the words of "Borat," not so much.

People come here for advise, I personally have no specialty in any specific subject, I've made 5 systems, 1 amd and the rest intel. I try to stay away from the post that I've no experience with, but I will do a google search for a member to at least find a link to help them.

In short, dont shoot blanks.

so summaring all the info:
the HD4850 is better than the HD3870 and I should go back and ask the HD4850 back.
BTW can i use the same drivers for the HD4850 that i used for the 3870?
Because i installed the drivers that were for the 3870 (came in the box with the card).

EDIT: and what if he overclocked the HD3870?? Is it then better than the HD4850?

Nope, it can't match it even with an overclock. And no, I don't recommend using the on-CD drivers for either card. Download the latest Catalyst drivers and use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back