ATX-mid case recommendations from builders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I've been looking for a new case, and keep running into cases that are generally well-regarded but have at least a few reviewers that throw a serious complaint about how hard it is to work in the case, how shoddy the build quality is, etc, ad nauseum.

Any thoughts for cases that people have used that they've really liked to work in? I'm not one to care for an orange case or one that has led's on every corner. I'm more looking for a nice-looking, solidly built, quality case that is easy to get into and work with, where the metal doesn't have burrs, etc...

Some thoughts on specs:
I like the idea of 120mm fans, as opposed to 80mm and the big turbine intake fans.
Quiet case. I may pad the inside of the case (thoughts?)
Think 3-4 HD's, 7200-ish.
Probably not SLI. I may do it in the future, though.
PS is not necessary. I have one, and when I get a new system that outstrips the PS that I have, I'll get one that it doesn't.
A door for the 5.25" drives would be nice, esp for a black case.

One complaint that I have heard is that some reputable manufacturers have started getting sloppy with quality, etc. Who do I look for, who do I look out for? (I know I'm risking a religious war here...)

Thanks,
witg

There is no single thing that can please everyone. People will always find room to complain about something.

I use a Thermaltake Tai-Chi, it's easy to work inside, it looks decent, it's solidly built, however, it's expensive, heavy, it takes up a lot of space, it can be painful to work with sometimes because on some areas it's edgy etc. Despite that, I don't regret buying the case because I know it'll last me to the extinction of ATX/BTX.

It'd probably be best for you to narrow this down on your own. Nobody knows your taste better than you, there are just too many variables to consider. If you want a general idea as to what the masses prefer, go to a site such as Newegg and sort the cases by most reviews. Ignore seriously negative reviews unless you feel something mentioned directly effects you and nobody else has countered the claim, or, there is a reoccurring complaint of a defect(s).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007&bop=And&Order=REVIEWS

buy a case that's at least 3mm thick aluminum or w/e the metal might be, thicker material helps as a giant heatsink, it may only effect mobo temps 2-5 degrees but its something important if you're cramming all that stuff into a mid tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back