1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Avoid iTunes Bloat With the Windows Store Version

By learninmypc · 11 replies
May 17, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. There are two ways to install iTunes on Windows 10: By downloading it from Apple’s website, or by installing it from the Microsoft Store. You get the same application either way, but the Store app has less bloat.

The Store App is the Same iTunes FULL ARTICLE

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 12,193   +1,359

Hmm; when in Rome, do as the Romans do - - eg: run Apple software from Apple Store and Android software from the Google Store. This way, you avoid possible hacks and malware. I take this very seriously, as iTunes is a major means to control your Apple-Id.

Similarly, IMO, never run downloads from Cnet which are available from OTHER authenticated sources - - I've always found PUP and Malware associated with them.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 8,439   +545

Thank you, will remove my itunes.I got from that article.

4. jobeard

It's OK to have multiple choices - - as long as the consequences are understood.

All the so called "bloatware" in the article are useful and the iCloud service can even be necessary - - so where else would you go to get a copy?

5. learninmypc

Evidently the link I clicked on took me to the MS store cause it downloaded & installed it in one shot. I Couldn’t find it in programs & features or revo.

6. jobeard

HUH? iTunes doesn't show in Pgm & Features?

7. learninmypc

ITUNES.JPG Correct. Clarification. In order to install the itunes from HTG it had to uninstall the other one from apple. So now I can't find the one from htg in programs & features & I can't reinstall itunes from apple until I do.

8. jobeard

Hmm; nasty and parochial; sigh

9. learninmypc

What would I/should I look for in programs & features to remove it? Or just leave it as is??

10. jobeard

For starters, make sure it's not running, the run taskmgr, view all user tasks and kill anything showing (iTunesHelper?)

Then try the uninstall again

learninmypc likes this.
  11. learninmypc

Thanks, successful (y)(y)

12. jobeard

Great - - it was just a guess :)

learninmypc likes this.