B/W image from tv with composite tv-input

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched all over for about 3 days trying to figure this out. Here is my setup.

My dvd player(xbox) is connected to my tv with component connections. I then have composite cables connected to my computer from the tv-out jacks. When I load up my capture software (Giga Pocket, came with PC, Nvidia 5200 card), there is no sound signal and the image is black and white (yet clear).

When I connect the xbox directly to my pc with composite cables, It works fine.(sound, color) Or when I connect the xbox to the tv with composite, instead of component, then then connect the tv tv-out to my computer tv-in with composite, it works fine. This downgrades the image/color quite a bit. (component>>>composite) :(
This leads me to believe that the problem lies with the component input into the tv.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

JakeDG said:
I have searched all over for about 3 days trying to figure this out. Here is my setup.

My dvd player(xbox) is connected to my tv with component connections. I then have composite cables connected to my computer from the tv-out jacks. When I load up my capture software (Giga Pocket, came with PC, Nvidia 5200 card), there is no sound signal and the image is black and white (yet clear).
TVs and vid capture cards are inherently decoders, not encoders. The TV can not encode component video into composite, it can only do pass-through to your computer hence you only get luminance (black and white) and no chroma (color information).

JakeDG said:
When I connect the xbox directly to my pc with composite cables, It works fine.(sound, color) Or when I connect the xbox to the tv with composite, instead of component, then then connect the tv tv-out to my computer tv-in with composite, it works fine. This downgrades the image/color quite a bit. (component>>>composite) :(
It is absolutely normal to lose quality when encoding component video down into a single composite video connection.

Comnponent video = RGB and syncs - multiple discrete data channels.
S-video = Luminance and Chrominance - fewer encoded data channels.
Composite video = One single encoded data channel.

JakeDG said:
This leads me to believe that the problem lies with the component input into the tv.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
It was how you incorrectly utilized it.

Okay, that's great. But it really doesn't answer my question. :(
Is there something that I can buy that will fix my problem?

Sorry for the bump, but I am just wondering if anybody has any other ideas. I have tried everything. Olefarte, I all set with those settings.

Does your TV really support component connections or do you have some adapter there?

It may be that your television set just does not have the circuitry to convert from component input to composite output.

You could just get some switchbox or splitter to switch/split the signal from the xbox to the TV or/and computer.

My tv has component inputs, yes. I am guessing that the video coming out of my tv is component, but it is going through composite outputs and cables; this is causing the color loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back