Backing up my system

learninmypc

Hoping for a simple answer. I don't have oodles of $$$$ so I can't buy a bunch of disks . I have a one terra byte harddrive & around about 55 gb's of pics & stuff so I want to know "roughly" how many disks it'll take to back up harddrive (OS) & pics/videos??

Do the math...a single layer DVD holds 4.7 GB and you have 55 GB worth of data. So rounding down to 4.... 55 / (divided by) 4 = 13.75 (14) discs.

I would seriously consider a cloud based backup up specifically for your pictures. If you use Chrome as your browser, then Google has the perfect solution. One that I use and highly recommend. I use Googles "Backup and Sync" software on my PC. So any picture I download/save to my "pictures" folder....this software automatically saves it. To view it just open your browser and click on google photos. Then I have a hard copy saved on separate HDD. This way I have a backup to a backup.

As a plus....if you have a android phone....google photos is on your phone. You'll just have to set it up to backup you pictures on your phone. Use the same login information from your phone with Google account on PC, set to sync and you'll have all your phone pictures with your PC pictures in one place.

Ok, although I am terrible at math, thank you. I do have an Android phone but feared google pictures was taking up too much space, will give it a gtry, thanks. :)

I do have an Android phone but feared google pictures was taking up too much space
It's a cloud service, so no space is being taken.

There is still an awful lot to be said for the DVD as a backup medium.
http://datarecoveryireland.ie/in-praise-of-the-humble-dvd/
Yes...totally agree...for pictures and videos only. I have a 2 cloud backups 1 external drive backup and then I have the DVD backups. Again only for photos and videos.

The only issue you have (as I did), is in which the media format (not sure if I used the correct wording/phrase) was used. Example: I have a bunch of photo CD's from the XP/Me era that wouldn't work on windows 8. I had to use my old 7 system to drag/drop form XP format to 7 format. Then do the same from 7 to 8/8.1. The CD/DVD's that were created in windows 8 work with windows 10.

The issue: that's a lot of CD's and DVD's and a lot of CD/DVD storage space needed.

I understand, I was just using CD's cause they're compact disks. Some could be DVD-R, I haven't looked thru all of them :)

The difference between CD and DVD is storage. The CD only holds 700 mb of data while the DVD will hold 4.7 gb data.

Can somebody explain this to me " recordable, 52x, 700mb, 80 min". Its on my memorex CD-R. If I read it, it tells me 52x 700mb =36,400? or 80 minutes?? hmmm

The 52x is the READ data transfer speed, not a storage multiplier.

Hi @learninmypc Like your cartoon.(y) There is no reason that anyone should not be able to recover their windows OS and be back up and running with a back up image in a few minutes. IMHO the best way to create a back up image is with a 3rd party program like Macriul Reflect, but Windows also has a image back up option that should work . Here's a great link from HTG on how to use this windows feature. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/
Normal backup programs, like CrashPlan or Windows’ built-in File History feature, essentially copy your files to another location. A system image backup, on the other hand, is like a full snapshot of an entire hard drive. The advantage of a system image is that if a hard drive crashes, you can replace it, restore the image, and have your system right back to where it was when the image was captured. No need to reinstall Windows or your apps.

Hi @learninmypc Like your cartoon.(y) There is no reason that anyone should not be able to recover their windows OS and be back up and running with a back up image in a few minutes. IMHO the best way to create a back up image is with a 3rd party program like Macriul Reflect, but Windows also has a image back up option that should work . Here's a great link from HTG on how to use this windows feature. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/
Normal backup programs, like CrashPlan or Windows’ built-in File History feature, essentially copy your files to another location. A system image backup, on the other hand, is like a full snapshot of an entire hard drive. The advantage of a system image is that if a hard drive crashes, you can replace it, restore the image, and have your system right back to where it was when the image was captured. No need to reinstall Windows or your apps.
You buy the discs & I'll be happy to do just that. I am not made of $$$$ nor do I have much. The above cartoon was simply for a joke.

You buy the discs & I'll be happy to do just that. I am not made of $$$$ nor do I have much. The above cartoon was simply for a joke.
Hi I know it was a joke. My reply is not a joke and only a foolish person does not create back ups for times of disasters. If you don't mind starting over from scratch, then the Media creation tool is fine. I think you have stated that you have one. I would be more then happy to send you 12$ for 10 DVD's. Give me your address in a PM.;)
PS we all have heard how poor you are. Getting a little old!:D
Capture25.JPG

Last edited:
Back