ballistic cursor on Thinkpad i1400

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarols

Hi there. I have just installed Win2k on a friends Thinkpad i1400, but on re booting, the cursor keeps moving across the screen, and ends up against the left or right side of the screen. When you attempt to move it, it speeds back to where it was or zips across the screen to the other side! He has a USB mouse, and the track point software re installed. It was ok on his previous win98 install. The problem is that its not consistent, sometimes (but rarely) you can start the PC and the cursor never moves, and responds to the mouse movement. I am not familiar with this model. The install went ok apart from this nagging ballistic cursor problem. Its virus and trojan free. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Chris

Does this latop have a touch pad?

Some touchpads have some anomalous behavior under Windows 2000 and XP and can cause erratic cursor movement.

My first suggestion would be to use a PS/2-USB adapter on the mouse to plug into the computer. If this idea makes your shudder or is not possible, try updating the device driver for the touchpad (probably a Synaptics® touchpad).

Finally, if that is not an option or does not work, disable the touchpad in device manager.

If you have any questions on how to do any of this or it doesn't work, feel free to respond to this thread and we'll discuss this further.

Thankx for replying Rick. Nah the machine only has a stupid trackpointer (In K/B) I have updated to the latest TP software, and rebooted but still the same. Tis funny, if you move the cursor away from the edge the first time, the cursor goes back by itself slowley, and each successive time you move it back to the centre, it zips back quicker and quicker each time! Dont have a older mouse. I have an old mouse, but its got the big circular "Din" plug type, not the smaller circular "Din" type. Cheers Chris

It has the big circular din type?? You mean it is not a mini din 9? You can get a splitter from CNA that is what I have always used on thinkpads. You can also get one from IBM but they are a lot higher. I have had problems like this but it is usually the mouse. Might check the bios and make sure the USB is set to legacy device. I dont know if it will help but it never hurts to try.

S>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back