Batman: Arkham City sold over 12 million copies and made $600 million in first year of...

midian182

Staff member
In a nutshell: Which is your favorite Batman: Arkham game? Most people will pick either the original (Asylum) or its 2011 sequel, Arkham City. Warner Bros. never reveled how many copies the latter sold, but thanks to a company exec's LinkedIn profile, now we know: a lot.

The figures were discovered by Twitter user Timur222 (via PC Gamer), who found the figures on the LinkedIn profile of a former global franchise marketing manager that worked for publisher Warner Bros. at the time of Arkham City's release.

The profile mentions Arkham City explicitly, with the ex-employee stating they "strategically marketed a AAA life-cycle campaign to deliver over 12.5m units (2011 – 2012)." It also mentions that the game raised $600 million across the many platforms where it's available, and the person "managed co-marketing partnership valued $5 million."

Gamespot writes that Arkham City shipped 6 million units in the four months following its release in October 2011. Having reached 12.5+ million in its first year is very impressive, and we can only hazard a guess at how many units the game's sold to date.

Arkham City remains the best-reviewed entry in the franchise. Its average of 92 puts it above Asylum (90), Knight (83), and Origins (74). Although those who remember Arkham Knight's disastrous PC port, which resulted in sales on the platform being suspended, may place it last.

Being such a money-making franchise means we'll almost certainly see another Arkham game, possibly this year, though it's unclear how the potential sale of Warner Bros. Interactive by AT&T might affect development.

Permalink to story.

Spiderman on PS4 was very good but the Rocksteady Batman titles are the best comic book tie in games I have ever played. I felt Arkham Knight was superb, but marred with performance issues on PC, gave me that open world fatigue feeling with endless little pointless sub games and filler fluff. The original Arkham Asylum was a nice surprise, somewhat linear but beautifully crafted.

Arkham City had the best of both. Not just the best comic book tie in game, but one of the all time greatest games ever made. The PC version rules them all, still looks great today.

Lol great time to bring up his article and I'm just playing through Arkham Knight. AK City was my favorite but getting Knight for Free and playing it on PC now. Since we are few years from launch no issues running on PC currently.

Only played Arkham Knight and loved it... Didn't even mind the tank bits that everyone complains about. Only regret is I finished it on Xbox just before I bought a gaming PC. Seeing it in 4K 60 I wish I had held off playing it on the Xbox. I should really go and play the other two as I think I got them free from Epic.

Isn't this the same game for being woefully broken/unoptimized at release? Like world class issues?

Impressive what consumers will put up with...

(PS: Not the game I was thinking of)

Last edited:
Asylum was the best, because the combat was fresh and the graphics and animations were excellent. I remember wanting Rocksteady to do a Spiderman game after that! Also - the voice acting was 100%. Joker's voice was clearly the best and then Harley's.
Mark Hamill is the Joker.

Oh no City had some big issues at launch took 3-6 months to finally fix. In dx9 mode the game was flawless but in dx11 it would stutter for no reason.
Oh. Uh my bad. I played on 360 which was pretty good as far as being a console version of the game. Although that does still sound better than Arkham knight.

Oh. Uh my bad. I played on 360 which was pretty good as far as being a console version of the game. Although that does still sound better than Arkham knight.

It was fixed eventually but when the PC version launched not even a GTX 680 SLI could keep it above 60fps, and then in early 2013 they fixed it and suddenly a GTX 560 to could max it.

Spiderman on PS4 was very good but the Rocksteady Batman titles are the best comic book tie in games I have ever played. I felt Arkham Knight was superb, but marred with performance issues on PC, gave me that open world fatigue feeling with endless little pointless sub games and filler fluff. The original Arkham Asylum was a nice surprise, somewhat linear but beautifully crafted.

Arkham City had the best of both. Not just the best comic book tie in game, but one of the all time greatest games ever made. The PC version rules them all, still looks great today.

Arkham Knight also sucked on consoles, unoptimized in general, worst Batman game launch ever and they never truly fixed it, runs like crap on consoles still but pc can at least do 60 fps or more most of the time now.

The two first Arkham games ran and looked great but Knight destroyed everything and this is the reason you did not see anymore Batman games ... Low sales and bad reviews, it's been 5 almost 6 years since Knight ended the series now.

Maybe they will try again when next gen consoles launch.

Back