Battlefield 2 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, i used to play battlefield 2 pretty regularly on my machine, then one day, after a patch, or after messing around with some file or another, it stopped working, it was just being annoying, so i tried removing it through the add/remove programs, so i selected battlefield 2, hit remove program.

Comes up with 'Preparing to run installshield bla bla bla bla' to uninstall it, the installshield loads up, i get about 1 frame of the fullscreen installshield window and then it cuts back to the desktop. When trying ot install the program the same thing happens, Install wizard opens up for 1 frame and then goes back to the desktop. So i just gave up and played world of warcraft all the time.

I have installed and uninstalled multiple games between then and now, and now i really want to go back to playing battlefield 2 without having to reformat my PC, none of my hardware has changed, its just still giving me a split second of the install shield then going back to the desktop.

Oh, also, even though i have manually removed all the battlefield 2 files, i still have 'battlefield 2' in my add/remove programs list, but it says that it is only taking up 12MB of space, so i dont know if traces of the program is still on my machine or what, im just getting really frustrated and would like some help.

Thanks in advance,

Johnny.

I can't believe such a good game can be so full of bugs. They really did a bad job on that game....

Anyways, have you posted/searched the official BF2 forums? My guess is you would probably get more help on this there. Sounds like a headache!

Good luck.

Wow

Absolutely amazed, in about 12 or so hours i got a reply from EA, and they told me how to fix it.

The problem was that i DID still have parts of the game left in the registry, i went and deleted it all in the registry, and now everything works fine..

VERY impressed with EA's response time.

You were pretty lucky getting a fast response from EA, and they didn't mess you about. I've had some dodgy experiences with game customer services.

Also, Battlefield 2 is really buggy..

Delete keys (and subkeys) for:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DICE\Battlefield 2(TM)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DICE\Battlefield 2: Special Forces
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Core\INSTALLED GAMES\EAGAMES\BF2-2006
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA Games\Battlefield 2 Special Forces

To get the group out of add/remove programs:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
.. and hunt for a CLSID key (these are like {04828915-DD6E-48DB-A878E-XXXXXXXX}
with the string "Battlefield" within. You'll find one for each BF2 game installed,
so you'll have one for BF2 and one for Battlefield 2 Special Forces (if installed)

At this point, you should delete any Battlefield2 folders in "My Documents" as cache and profile files are saved there, and any Program Group in the Start menu. You should then be able to manually delete the Battlefield2 folder where you originally installed and re-install the original without any grief.

I'm glad you got it working again. Also EA hardly met the deadline and threw BF2 "together at last minute" if you will.... :unch:

Thx Dutchin / all

Hey guys, just wanna start with saying u guys are the best!

I had the exact same problem for a long time, i called EA but it didnt solve the problem. After a few months(lets say around 5) i really wanted to fix the game again.

So i searched on google and i found u guys, neva expected to find another guy who had the same problem :S so i did the register thing(deleting stuff), and it worked! thanks alot people!

Greetz.

Thanks again.

Just as all the previous dudes, i had the same problem, and decided after quitting WoW to reinstall... which proved unsuccessful.. Thanks for posting the problem. I'm going through my registry files right now ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back