Battlefield 2042 CPU Benchmark feat. 128-Player Battles

Looks like my 8700k is starting to show its age. I have it overclocked to 5.1Ghz which I think would show better results, plus I have a 3080 which is slightly less demanding than a 3090.

Who will invest all that money in hardware for a game with 74% negative reviews on Steam?

8700k is a four year old flagship but it's below the 3600x in the 1440p tests and finds itself nearer the bottom on all the charts. That's a bit of an eye opener.

Who will invest all that money in hardware for a game with 74% negative reviews on Steam?
I don't think anyone should, nor is that suggested in the article (I think)... rather it's interesting and educational for PC gamers how the latest hardware performs, so if you're building new or upgrading your system, you get to know more information about performance, and perhaps just as importantly, know if your current system is fine and you can skip a cycle.

Completely different titles, but Shadow of the Tomb Raider and even Rise of the Tomb Raider from 2016 can also be quite heavy on the CPU depending on the scene if you're after high-refresh gameplay of 144Hz and up. Strange since the games can use DX12 and are single player only.

I appreciate these extensive benchmarks. However, I think it would have been nice to have some older flagships included (like the i7-4790 or ryzen 5 1600) which I think are the EA recommended/minimum processors.

Did you see what lower timings or speeds of DDR4 did to the i7 12700k or 12900k?

I have my current 3200 C16 Corsair RGB ram that I'm going to throw on a DDR4 z690 Mobo since ddr5 is virtually impossible to buy. And don't really want to drop 150 plus on faster ram.

Can someone tell me how the 10600k and 11600k have a 10-20% performance difference?

Arent they basically the same chip?

10th gen has 200mhs higher base and 100mhz lower turbo. Is the 11th gen actually a faster processor core vs core?

Thank you for the testing Steve. What a massive undertaking.

I know it would be a ton more work, but it would be nice to see CPU and GPU benchmarks with High, Medium, Low, and Custom settings (disable the extra effects) in BF 2042. Most of us don't use the Ultra preset anymore, or at least we shouldn't be according to the experts.

Can someone tell me how the 10600k and 11600k have a 10-20% performance difference?

Arent they basically the same chip?

10th gen has 200mhs higher base and 100mhz lower turbo. Is the 11th gen actually a faster processor core vs core?
Different architectures. 11th gen has ~20% higher IPC, but higher latency. In most games an oced 10600k is equal or faster than the 11600k, but on stock the 11600k has the advantage most of the time

I'm still using a 5930K overclocked to 4.5Ghz and it really struggles with this game. It was great on BF1, noticed a performance hit with BFV, but now with BF2042 it really struggles, especially on 128 player maps it's pretty much unplayable. It kinda sucks how much of a performance difference there is between these games when BF1 still looks just as good as BFV and BF2042, if not better in a lot of ways and runs a lot smoother.

Wait for more patches before deciding to upgrade, it may take a while but like all BF games at launch run bad. Especially big dense building maps did, they run better now.

Hey look another game where people that are good at overclocking Samsung Bdie DDR4 to crazy tight latencies get more frames than a GPU upgrade! This is starting to become the norm.

Different architectures. 11th gen has ~20% higher IPC, but higher latency. In most games an oced 10600k is equal or faster than the 11600k, but on stock the 11600k has the advantage most of the time
I know there are different architectures. But thats some significant jumps the last 3 years.

typically the 10-20% just was more to do with their ability to push frequency increases than processing power.

I know there are different architectures. But thats some significant jumps the last 3 years.

typically the 10-20% just was more to do with their ability to push frequency increases than processing power.
Well gaming performance in particular though doesn't scale that much with IPC but moreson with cache and memory speeds / latency. That's why the 10th gen is / can be faster than the 11th gen. You can run 4400c16 ram speeds on 10th gen with gear 1, but on the 11600k you can only run 3333c12 or something along those lines.

I know from first hand experience, my 8700k (which is basically identical to the 10600k) is faster or equal to my 11600k when both are oced in both freequencies and memory. But on stock, the 11600k is actually a decent amount faster, 15% at the very least.

5600X @ 4.85GHz
2070 Super @ stock
90-100fps
60% CPU usage
10GB RAM
50% VRAM
1440p everything on Low for lowest input latency.

Last edited:
I'm still using a 5930K overclocked to 4.5Ghz and it really struggles with this game. It was great on BF1, noticed a performance hit with BFV, but now with BF2042 it really struggles, especially on 128 player maps it's pretty much unplayable. It kinda sucks how much of a performance difference there is between these games when BF1 still looks just as good as BFV and BF2042, if not better in a lot of ways and runs a lot smoother.
BF2042 has bigger maps, double the player count, higher polygon count, destruction, physics, explosions with shockwaves, higher quality volumetric smoke, AI etc.

This test is not involved crowded spaces and gun fights. It just walking an empty flag for 3 minutes.

How do you expect a consistent benchmark to be done in crowded spaces and gunfights? The test needs to be done the same every time.

8700k is a four year old flagship but it's below the 3600x in the 1440p tests and finds itself nearer the bottom on all the charts. That's a bit of an eye opener.

My 6700K was struggling really bad. Upgraded to 12900K, man the difference is day and night!

Back