Battlefield V's Gamescom trailer teases battle royale mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: This year's Battlefield and Call of Duty games will be the first to feature battle royale modes, a new style of play that could restore interest in franchises that are a bit long in the tooth at this point.

EA in the lead-up to Gamescom on Thursday dropped a new trailer for Battlefield V. Titled “Devastation of Rotterdam,” the spot highlights in-game footage and cut scenes across a variety of landscapes.

Near the end of the clip after the initial footage, we’re treated to what appears to be our first glimpse of Battlefield V’s battle royale mode. We’re shown a shrinking ring of fire which presumably forces players towards a central point of the map, a common characteristic of most battle royale games.

If this is indeed the battle royale mode, it’s interesting to note that combat vehicles are prominently featured rather than simply having non-assault vehicles like Jeeps for transportation.

The trailer arguably couldn’t have come at a better time. According to a recent report from VG24/7 citing data from investment firm Cowen Group, pre-orders of Battlefield V have been weak thus far and have fallen behind both Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Part of the blame likely falls on EA for not promoting the game much since its May reveal but with the holiday season slowly approaching, EA will likely rev up its marketing machine.

Battlefield V launches on October 19 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC. To see if your PC will be up to speed to run the game, be sure to check out EA’s minimum system requirements.

Permalink to story.

Hmmmm, the lighting in the game is not very realistic. Everything looks really baked and the textures
look very muddy. Not impressed with the frame-rates too. Silly consoles.... Hopefully the PC version looks better. I guess Frostbite is falling behind the likes of Unity and UE4 these days...

I'm disappointing EA seems to show no interest in Battlefield for VR.

Anyway, I'll probably be skipping this one as well. Never had much interest in pre-modern era shooters. Guess I'll wait for Battlefield 6, or 7... or whenever they decide to come back to present time.

Anyway, I'll probably be skipping this one as well. Never had much interest in pre-modern era shooters. Guess I'll wait for Battlefield 6, or 7... or whenever they decide to come back to present time.

They're going to jump the shark if they haven't already. Once the battle royale and "we gotz inclusion" crazes die down, some indie dev is going to have some moderate success with a colonial era shooter and the next thing you know EA and Activision will be teasing muskets and muzzle-loading rifles at E3 2020.

Hmmmm, the lighting in the game is not very realistic. Everything looks really baked and the textures
look very muddy. Not impressed with the frame-rates too. Silly consoles.... Hopefully the PC version looks better. I guess Frostbite is falling behind the likes of Unity and UE4 these days...
Uhhhh...wut.. lmao show me a better looking Unity game.

UE4? ARK and PUBG show that one brilliantly LMFAOOO ..

I thought the low pre-orders was because Patrick Söderlund said the customers should **** off if they didn't want a female cyborg protagonist, people "****ed off" and EA got rid off him.

Battleroyale and no hint of realism, no thanks. (not that battlefield is realistic but the setting has been always accurate)

Have you tried onward? EA wont make VR games for a while, they want all the money not just some of it and everyone don't own VR yet. Their more interested in mobile than VR and just look at what sort of **** they try there, their VR games will be horrid.

Have you tried onward? EA wont make VR games for a while, they want all the money not just some of it and everyone don't own VR yet. Their more interested in mobile than VR and just look at what sort of **** they try there, their VR games will be horrid.
Yes I play Onward, but it is a pretty small game compared to Battlefield series. Small meaning lack of content, not as many maps, weapons, vehicles, etc. Although there are no vehicles in Onward, yet.

While I'm still getting Battlefield because it's my shooter of choice, I don't have any interest in a battle royale mode. I'm bored of this format and I never really fully cared for it in the first place. Also lets not forget this trailer literally shows nothing about any specific game mode. It's all just generic cinematic gameplay shots. If they want to actually get me interested, they should probably just show me the actual game mode.

Back