BCCode 3b

Gibsonian

I have got the BCCode 3b twice in the last 2 days. I have just done a fresh install of my OS about a week ago and everything was running nicely till this. I assume this is a hardware issue.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
8 gigs of ram
Intel Core i7 k875 @ 2.93GHZ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF960000C4377
BCP3: FFFFF8800B12D070
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Any help would be great.

Attachments

• 022115-17581-01.zip
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
I don't have the ability to read minidump files like I once did but that code is usually due to video card drivers, When you did a fresh install of your OS did you update your Nvidia drivers? What were you doing when these errors occurred, I.e. specific such as gaming?

I did to update my drivers to the most recent when I installed them again. I just stared playing wow again and I was standing doing nothing but typing in guild chat for a few. Dragon Age Inquisition plays ok if I keep the settings low(system is getting out of date). Any other games seem to work perfect. I did alt tab out to google chrome once when I got a BS the other time I was still in game

If you revert your drivers to the next to newest offering what are your results? Often the newest aren't exactly best. Also, any heat issues?

I did a FurMark GPU stress test and it says it was 85°C - 90°C and around 20 FPS. I'm not sure but I think that might be far to high of a temperature. I blew the dust out of it a few weeks or a month ago and my place isn't dusty and my computer is on the desk not the ground. I can try to find the previous version of the drivers and install them because I cant roll them back with no precious install.

* Answered before I realized TMagic650 answered. Still see below.

If that is normal gaming temps, from what I have understood from my research, that is higher than recommended. Heat beyond the recommended range will shut a system down fast and cause BSODs. Gaming especially puts the load on a GPU causing increased temps. And think of dust as nature's blanket.

Do you have good case airflow? Do the following very simple yet very effective diagnostic step that costs no $.

1. Remove your side panel.
2. Find a small fan and on the low setting have it blow directly into your case.
3. Then find a system demanding game that you like playing.

* What are the results?

I will do a clean install of the previous Nvidia Drivers. My case has good air flow, I have 3 case fans that I regularly clean from dust.

So I did a new install of my drivers using the previous version and cleaned out the dust in my computer(very little) and so far now new Blue Screen errors but I still have the same problems in the game with the screen going back and showing the desktop for a half second and back to the game with textures messed up, it hasn't lead to a blue screen yet.
I did get a OpenGL Error 3 a few times so far. I changed my power management settings to "fix" it but still the same screen error things still happen. I'm starting to think its my power supply that is dying and not my Video card. Any way to test a power supply like you can memory or a video card?

Yes. You can buy yourself a multimeter to test your power supply. They are inexpensive. I purchased my Craftsman for $22. It works great. Radio Shack also offers some nice, inexpensive models. Make sure though you get a digital one.

YouTube has a ton of videos that will show you how to properly test your power supply.

What are the recommended video requirements for that game?

Nice, I will try to buy a multimeter soon. If that's the problem it will be a cheaper fix than a new video card.

The recommended specs are
4 GB of RAM
Intel Core i5 2400
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

So I can play it fine. Today I have put in 2 hours and not a single issue so far today.
Is there any chance I have gnomes in my computer causing random errors? lol

I doubt if a multimeter will help much here. The power supply may not supplying enough current at times. This would be hard for a multimeter to check, unless it was connected in a current checking mode all the time to all voltage lines...

Maybe I will just buy a new power supply at a place that has a very lenient return policy lol I think my current one is like 2 or 3 years old.

The power supply was bought after I got the case. I just got a new 600 watt power supply today and the same screen and texture errors with playing WoW and I just now got a new blue screen with BCCode 50. So I think the new power supply wasn't the cause lol

Ok, did we ever check the memory? If not, do it next using Memtest86 v501 from here:
http://www.memtest.org/ Make a bootable CD or DVD and boot the computer with it. No errors are allowed. The Nvidia driver flagged in the old minidump is gone now

The unwritten but strongly suggested rule is 10 Passes or more. I have seen errors occur later in the 12th Pass and as much as the 15th. The thing is, if there is one error you have faulty memory.

Darn. I will try to leave it running all night tonight and all day tomorrow so it can get a lot of passes. Random blue screens errors are annoying and have followed me through a format so It has to be hardware related.

Back