Belkin adapter will not connect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin997

hi there
i have a belkin "g" wireless usb adapter and am having SERIOUS trouble getting it to connect to the internet.
I install all the drivers, select "SKY broadband" which is my ISP, and click connect, i have to then enter a network key. I do this then click connect. A box appears saying "connecting to network" or something like that and a loading bar. After about 1 minute of the box appearing it just dissapears, and a red cross appears over the network icon in the icon tray next to the time in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. I have just traveled 50 miles to my nearest pc world store to get this usb adapter, as i thought the problem occured because the adapter was faulty. The signal strength is at 2/3 out of 5. I have also put the wireless usb adapter right next to my router, and the signal strenth increases to 4/5 but i still get the same problem again and again.
i am now increadably frustrated and wondering wtf this is happening!!!
it is probably some stupid little option that needs configufing, or prehaps belkin gear is not compatable with my netgear router, i really don't know.

if anyone at all could plz give me some help i would be increadibly greatful!!!

oh sorry, the message said "waiting for network to be ready", could there be a problem with the IP adress??? could there be a problem with security???
i have found many instances of the exact same problem as me and the problem was something to do with their routers security settings or something along those lines i think.

please describe the hardware on the network from the modem thru to your wireless usb device.

make/model, systems that connect vs. those that don't

Belkin's can be difficult when there's a mix of vendors on the same network.

did you configure your wireless router using a wired connection yet?

where can i locate this information, as you have probably allready figured out my knowlage of networking is fairly limited.
no i have not configured it using a wired conection yet.

to help you, you need to help me ...
>>>>please describe the hardware on the network from the modem thru to your wireless usb device.

ok, there's
a modem (which one)
a router (which one)
a PC and
a laptop​
how does the PC connect {wired/wireless} and does it have internet access?
same question for the laptop.

the fix is in the details ....

as you are probably aware my knowlage of networking is limited, as i only got the internet about 6 months ago

modem-don't have one
router- netgear/sky broadband
the main pc conected to the router is wired and has internet access

honestly, that seems really bad. i have never had any serious problems with my sky broadband before and it is quite fast.
what would you advise i do to solve my unfortunate problem

I found this
The DG834GT management interface offers a debug option that enables the embedded
Telnet server. To do this, fire up your web browser and enter the following URL
(changing the IP address to your router's address if necessary):

http://192.168.0.1/

You'll be asked for the administration username/password
('admin' and 'password' on a normal DG834GT though I understand this
to be 'admin' and 'sky' on Sky's branded
version).​
if you can login this way, you should be able to set G-Mode only to improve connectivity.
Also set your own SSID and change the channel
Turn off encryption (for now), save and restart the device.

You Belkin should find the router using the Wireless Network Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back