Belkin wireless network problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby123

I have got myself a belkin router and connected it to my main desktop pc. I bascially want to make a wireless connection between my pc and laptop. I got given a belkin network card too which if I put into my usb drive allows me to connect to the net. I can put the card into both my laptop or desktop and can connect to the net except I cant seem to do it when I only have it in one.

I am looking over the manual for the router and in the part configure your router it says
- In order for your computer to properly communicate with the router, your computer's network ''TCP/IP/Ethernet'' setting needs to be Obtain an Ip adress automatically using DHCP''- How to do I set it and where??

Then it goes onto say you can access the web based management interface of the router using internet browser on a computer physicsally connected to the route. Tpe 192.168.2.1 into your adress bar and click enter. I did it in aol and it takes me to some search site.

Can I actually connect the desktop and laptop without the belkin card and just via the router and also how the hell do i do it lol?

ok....
1. connect the router to your pc via cable first.
2. Make sure the tcp/ip settings in the network connection you use is setup to 'obtain automatically' for ip address and dns.
2. In a browser window, type in the ip address of the router home page; 192.168.2.1. It should take you to the Belkin Router config page.
3. Setup the router for DHCP. Some Belkin's take abut 35 secs to accept and reset the router after each change (for some strange reason!)
4. Setup up wireless networking, MAKE SURE you enable the security on it.

I got given a belkin network card too which if I put into my usb drive allows me to connect to the net. I can put the card into both my laptop or desktop and can connect to the net except I cant seem to do it when I only have it in one.
I got a little confused here. Is the wireless card you have a usb plugin? Which can obviously fit into a usb port on either pc or laptop?
Well, with only one wireless card, you can obviously only have one wirelessly connecting to the network/internet can't you?
The router will most likely have 4 RJ45 ports in the back, so you can plug the pc and laptop into them with cat5e straightthrough cables.
From then its just a matter of sharing resources on the pc and laptop between each other.

Hope this helps.

AOL? Shut it down. AOL security features may be blocking you.
Otherwise the Belkin manual is a very straight-forward guide to everything you need.

k.jacko said:
ok....
1. connect the router to your pc via cable first.
2. Make sure the tcp/ip settings in the network connection you use is setup to 'obtain automatically' for ip address and dns.
2. In a browser window, type in the ip address of the router home page; 192.168.2.1. It should take you to the Belkin Router config page.
3. Setup the router for DHCP. Some Belkin's take abut 35 secs to accept and reset the router after each change (for some strange reason!)
4. Setup up wireless networking, MAKE SURE you enable the security on it.

QUOTE]

How do I the step 2 part?!

I got onto the page but I have no idea whether I am annex A or B( I am with aol). I hacve no idea on how to do step 3 and 4?.

Also the thing I was referring to was a belkin usb thing which can be inserteed into my usb drive. If I put it in my pc I can acess the internet and if I do the same in my laptop I can acess it. However I can only use one as'theres only one so either my desktop or laptop can't have the net. Hence I am trying to use the router to make a wirless network but am a bit lost lol.

A good general rule is to get all components in the same brand. It makes troubleshooting and setup easier.

bobby123 said:
I bascially want to make a wireless connection between my pc and laptop.
Actually, this is two questions:
Wireless configurations
and File Sharing​
First get the laptop to wirelessly connect to the Belkin and be able to surf the net.

Then configure both systems for sharing.

Use the dekstop system to access the Belkin Config page
(use http://192.168.2.1/ in your browser)
Set the SSID, a channel number,enable the radio, and change the password
save the settings.

Your laptop should see the SSID you created and the software should
have a button to CONNECT.

Once this works, you can go back and add WEP/WPA encryption to the router.

bobby123 said:
k. jacko, this is what I am referring to
http://cgi.ebay.com/Belkin-Wireless...ryZ45002QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

I have one only so if I buy another one and put it into my laptop that will allow me to connect to the net yeah?

yep thats fine mate.
Then do what jobeard has suggested (more detailed advice than mine was).
It may be aol is causing you problems. For the life of me i don't know why aol makes things so damned complicated for their users.

Regardless of what it is, AOL is at the root of all sorts of problems... including Viruses that are not stopped and spyware that is spread... They have lost four million users in the past four years... and there are good reasons why.

Brand names can become significant when you move to adding encryption.
As long as the router and the WiFi adapter are using the same mode (A,B,G),
then a connection without encryption is only a configuration issue.

Your laptop must be able to see your SSID; if not, the router has not enabled
the radio or broadcasting the ssid OR your wifi toggle device is not installed properly or is inactive/dead

Btw: the new -N mode devices are VERY brandname sensitive as that protocol
has not been standardize and no two vendors do it the same;
ergo AVOID -N mode routers until the standard is finalized

Except that if you use the manufacturer's install disk, and use another manufacturer's install disc for the other device, you can get yourself into no end of conflicts and problems. If you use the same brands, their software install discs make it incredibly easy by comparison.

with a NIC I never use manufacturers software I always use WZC it is a lot easier and simpler

Wzc

Wireless Zero Configuration

get to it by

Start>control panel>Admin Tools>Serices

scroll down to and double click wireless zero configuration. You will see:-
wzc.jpg

sometimes manufacturers software will disable this, you will still need the drivers installing for the NIC but nothing else. If this is the problem let me know if you can't sort it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back