Best action-RPG you've ever played

If Dragon Age counts in that category then I guess you'd have to throw that one in... but a couple of oldies that I have to throw in there are some Ys games - one The Oath in Felghana and the other is The Ark of Napishtim. I almost feel like I should throw in a Zelda or Castlevania game in there somewhere also - or maybe even Guardian Heroes on the Sega Saturn.

Does diablo count as rpg? If so i'm have to say diablo!! Diablo 3 looks really good from what i have seen so far.

Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2. Even though I flat-out broke my Mass Effect 2 program (I only have a single-core PC, you see), I must say that it was without any doubt whatsoever, the very best Action RPG I've ever played.

What's neat with ME, is that Bioware ain't stoopid. As a practicer of physics, one is thrilled with the sheer amount of scientific detail used in ME. The spaceships shining blue when travelling FTL? That's Čerenkov-radiation, radiation emitted when particles travel faster than light in a medium (often other than vacuum). Faster than light travel? Well, yes - it's possible provided we can achieve negative mass! And so on. Loved the game, still do.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Oblivion... not a fan myself but I know a few people who are all about that game.

add Borderlands to my list... such a dumb game but i had so much fun with it online

Zelda hands down, specifically Ocarina of Time :grinthumb. I know it's more Action-Adventure, but it still carries enough RPG for me. I'd also second Secret of Mana and add Secret of Evermore too as I really enjoyed both growing up.

Among more modern games, Elder Scrolls Morrowind/Oblivion & Mass Effect 1/2 are the ones I enjoyed the most and can't wait for the sequels later this year.

I'd say Morrowind. While Oblivion and Fallout 3 also make the list, Morrowind was the first game in which I felt so completely immersed in so many aspects, so it had the biggest impression.

Non action I'd probably have to say Ultima IV to VI. The setting, the continuing plot, the morality and ethics choices you had to make.

Hellgate London, Oblivion, KOTOR, and Borderlands In that order. Hellgate servers got shut down and it was going to be re-released under the name "hellgate resurrection." It came out in other regions already but no talk of a US release.

Baldur's Gate 2, Dragon Age: Origins, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Deus Ex, Chrono Trigger, KoTOR, Jade Empire & Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Back