.bin and .cue

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

My friend gave me some files which were in .bin and .cue form, though, I don't know what to do with them. Does anyone know what I use with them or something?

.bin and .cue files are a CD image. You can burn them to a CD, extract them, or mount them with a virtual drive program. The .cue file is essentially a text file with instructions on how to burn it's .bin equivalent. The .bin is the image itself.

He probably sent you a game or OS.

Veh is correct. To burn the BIN file properly, you will need an advanced burning program, such as Golden Hawk's CDRWin.

You may also burn the file using Nero without the need for a CUE file.

I have Nero and Easy CD Creator 5, I'd prefer to know if it could be done on Easy CD Creator 5, I'm more familiar with it than nero.

Though, my system doesn't recognize neither of those files, it recognizes .iso files. Do they burn the same way as .iso? If so, I try to open the file, and then say open up in Easy CD Creator 5, right? Or ????

Unlike .iso .bin files doesn't contain the burning information, so you either need to set it up yourself, or use the .cue file...

If you don't want/need to burn them, I suggest getting Daemon tools... It allows you to mount .bin files among many others...

That way you can check out the files, and see if it's worth using a cd on or not...
(Quite useful when it comes to checking video files!)

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
Unlike .iso .bin files doesn't contain the burning information, so you either need to set it up yourself, or use the .cue file ...
Not always the case, as I have found one piece of software that will correctly burn any '.bin' file without the need for the '.cue' file (something that even cdrwin cannot do correctly). The software is called CD Mate and its Chinese in origin, but happens to be one of the top burning programs available. It will burn any image file format and also allows you to do compilations and create labels etc. Well worth getting a hold of. Even defeats copy protection. Check it out ...

CD Mate

Originally posted by poertner_1274
I would do what Rick suggested. It has given me the best results.
As long as you have the '.cue' file, then you should not have any problems.

Well I guess that could be a problem, but I guess why I like it is that I can make my own cue files now. They aren't hard once you have seen them a few times you can see what needs to be put where.
But for a novice I guess it could be a pain. Let's just hope they get .cue's to go along with their .bin's :D

I'm going to want to burn them to a CD because I'm going to purchase my new PC soon and this PC is getting shipped south of the border (Mexico).

just go into nero

open it up, chose create a new, then data cd...... as you would windows explorer......on the right hand side.....expose the files you want.....drag and drop, right to left........hit the burn icon :hotouch:

Both Nero and CRDWIN can *attempt* to burn a '.bin' file without the need for a '.cue' file. Only problem is that they can't do it correctly, especially for '.bin' files of many games (copy protection, mixed mode, multi-session, special layouts, etc.). I've tried, and failed every time (you end up with an 'audio cd' that isn't audio). CD Mate does it right every time and I never use the .cue file, ever.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
Well I guess that could be a problem, but I guess why I like it is that I can make my own cue files now. They aren't hard once you have seen them a few times you can see what needs to be put where.

For this Daemon tools can be quite helpful, as it'll allow you to test the .cue file before creating a coaster...

As for Nero never working when setting the info manually, hmm, never had that problem...
At least not when I actually set the different settings to the right value...

But thanks for the tip of cd mate...
I'll check it out as soon as I get my burner back...

Yeah MrG, I have daemon tools as well. I use that quite frequently actually. It is a great tool to have around.

bin and cue

Hi

I have a question, I've installed daemon but it said something about a missing link when i wanted to mount the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back