Bios and system updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manamiko

Since I appear to be ignorant and incapable of locating the proper bios settings and/or drivers to update, I was hoping someone here could help me do so, and hopefully I am providing all the accurate information below:

OS Name - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version - 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer - Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer - Compaq Presario 06
System Model - DA236A-ABA 6420NX NA910
System Type - X86-based PC
Processor - x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1798 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date - Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.01, 12/10/2002
SMBIOS Version - 2.2

Edit: If I am not in the proper forum and need to be moved to one such as Device Drivers, then I apologize and hope this thread will be moved.

The problem I am having is easier copied and pasted from another thread, than simply typing it again.

" I suppose I should start this new thread off with the symptoms. Right now, I won't include all of the steps I have taken to find any threats, changes or additions to the computer, including all the software mentioned in the 8 step virus/malware removal guide, simply because it has not made a difference in this computers processing speed, and, if it has, minimal at best. Besides the cpu % issue, I also have a redirection infection for firefox, googling any website or link, and having to go directly to the address bar to navigate around it.This is a compaq presario 6000, and I am using it for a few months until I can afford to get a new desktop with reasonable specs for casual gaming, since my old one is basically useless to me due to a transformer blowing a couple weeks ago, frying the power supply and the motherboard, despite being on a so called *office grade* surge protector. Back to the problem at hand, the cpu memory usage stays at an idle 9-15%, opening any application or program, even just Run on the start menu will jump it to 35-40%, and moving any said screen around on the desktop , like Firefox , jumps the % to 100, where it stays at a constantly 100 while doing so or running an app/prog, such as a virus / spyware/ malware scan. Food for thought, I have attempted using services.msc to reduce to just the basic necessities on programs, and booted up in safe mode, before and after the 8 step virus / malware removal guide, and in vain, all symptoms remain the same. All drivers as far as I have checked are up to date.

Specs are as follows:
Windows XP Home Edition, SP3
Amd Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
1.80 Ghz, 736MB RAM
S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
Realtek AC'97 Audio "

So in short, while I have that thread in progress with help from a fellow user, I want to make sure that if I missed any driver or BIOS updates, I can have it up to speed as much as possible. And if asked, the S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR driver is up to date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back