BIOS not detecting Internal SATA DVD/CD optical drive

Hi,

Recently I added additional internal HDD (WD 2TB SATA3 64MB Green) as a secondary storage.

The original SATA cable connector is:
SATA3_0 - WD 1TB
SATA3_1 - Samsung DVD-RW
SATA2_2 - Empty
SATA2_3 - Empty
SATA2_4 - eSATA connector cable from computer's casing - Empty
SATA2_5 - eSATA connector Cable from Computer's Casing - Empty

I rearranged the cables to:
SATA3_0 - WD 1TB
SATA3_1 - WD 2TB
SATA2_2 - Empty
SATA2_3 - Samsung DVD-RW
SATA2_4 - eSATA connector from computer casing - Empty
SATA2_5 - eSATA connector from Computer Casing - Empty

Once done, the motherboard BIOS only detects both the HHD. It doesn't detect the DVD-RW anymore. Before this both the HDD and DVD-RW was working fine.

I tried changing the DVD-RW's SATA cable to a new one, tried connecting the DVD-RW in other SATA2 port but still same.

Note: I didn't change any setting in BIOS.
BIOS Setting:
In "Standard CMOS Features" all IDE Channel 0-3 is set to "AUTO" hardware detection.
In "Integrated Peripherals":
- PCH SATA control mode is always been [AHCI]
- SATA Port0-3 Native Mode is always been [Enabled]

Please help me to solve this problem. I want the BIOS and Win 7 to detect the Samsung DVD-RW as well.

My system:
CPU: Intel i7-2600 3.4 Ghz
MB: GA-P67A-UD3P(rev. 1.0) - BIOS Ver : F4
VGA: Sapphire Toxic HD6850 1G
RAM: Corsair DDR3 2*4GB 1600 MHz
Power Supply : 600 W
Hard Disk:1) WD 1TB SATA3 64MB (Black)
2) WD 2TB SATA3 64MB (Green)
Optical Drive: Samsung 22X SATA DVD-RW Drive (Model:SH-S223C)

Apart from the detection on the screen, does the drive seem to work normally? If so, I would leave it alone.

If not, the drive has likely failed... it doesn't take much for an optical drive to go bad.

Final test? Does it work in another computer?

Thanks raybay.

It doesn't detect in both BIOS and Win7. Any CD/DVD media I insert doesn't open also.

I don't have the resources to test the DVD drive in another PC now so I reconfigured the SATA cable connection to original and removed my new HDD (WD 2T):

SATA3_0 - WD 1TB
SATA3_1 - Samsung DVD-RW
SATA2_2 - Empty
SATA2_3 - Empty
SATA2_4 - eSATA connector cable from computer's casing - Empty
SATA2_5 - eSATA connector Cable from Computer's Casing - Empty

and guess what...it works.

Than I added back the new HDD in 1 of the SATA2 connector:

SATA3_0 - WD 1TB
SATA3_1 - Samsung DVD-RW
SATA2_2 - WD 2TB
SATA2_3 - Empty
SATA2_4 - eSATA connector from computer casing - Empty
SATA2_5 - eSATA connector from Computer Casing - Empty

When I power ON my PC, BIOS took longer time than usual during hardware detection. But still the HDD is not detected. Than Win7 took almost 10 minutes to boot and still the HDD doesn't appear in "Disk Management".

Normally start up only takes ~1 minute.

I'm suspecting my SATA2 on my motherboard or any BIOS setting that goes with it.

Any advise since it seems I can only use SATA3 port in my motherboard?

I suspect the BIOS for your computer is no longer setup properly... and a large bit of tinkering to re-establish the BIOS would likely fix everything.
What brand of computer, or what brand and model of motherboard is it?

See if you can find a way to reset eveything... there is usally a way... you may have to go online to the computer maker or the motherboard manufacturers web site...

But it appears to me that the system is capable of being re-set so that it can then be reconfigured.

My motherboard is

GA-P67A-UD3P(rev. 1.0)

My current BIOS Version is F4

Right now, from Gigabyte website, they already posted a BIOS update for this motherboard which is F6.

Should I update the BIOS? It seems the latest version doesn't mention any changes to SATA controllers.

To tell you the truth, I've never done BIOS updating in any PC's before. So if possible I want to avoid updating the Motherboard's BIOS if current one is working fine since I'm afraid if done wrongly it might damage the MB.

How to reset the BIOS? I'll try this 1st.

SATA ports 2-5 not working

After much research on blogs and net. I think I found what is the problem with my system.

Refer to Intel's announcements on 31st January 2011:
http://blogs.intel.com/technology/2011/01/chipset_design_flaw/
http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/6/sb/CS-032521.htm

I bought this system on 30th January 2011. I just verified that my motherboard is effected by Intel® 6 Series Chipset Design Flaw.

I have to send back my motherboard for warranty claim. I hope it's still covered :(

Thanks.

Back