Bios not recognizing RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two sticks of RAM installed, but the bios and Windows XP only recognize one. CPU-Z detects them both. The bios goes into dual channel mode when both are installed.

Each module will run the machine alone. Switching slots does not help. I have the latest bios (f8) flashed multiple times from different downloads.

I'd like to upgrade to two 1GB sticks, but I'm afraid I'll get the same problem.

Ideas anyone?

mobo = Gigabyte K8NSC-939
RAM = Micron PC3200 DDR 512MB x 2 bought at different times, memory timings differ slightly (3-3-3-8 and 3-4-4-8)
CPU = Athlon 64 3000+

i can help i think

Call the memory manufacterer. Its somthing with the frequency i called the memory company when i bought ram n it worked what they told me to change in the bios. hope this helps

You might have to increase the RAM's voltage a tad.

If the timings are different, I assume they aren't identical modules, which, once in a blue moon will present issues.

Zenosincks said:
You might have to increase the RAM's voltage a tad.

If the timings are different, I assume they aren't identical modules, which, once in a blue moon will present issues.

Thanks for the tip. I tried all the possible voltage options (+.1 and +.2) but the problem continues.

I also reduced the CPU/DDR clock ratio so that the timings of the the RAM modules match each other, but the problem continues.

pimpmypc said:
Call the memory manufacterer. Its somthing with the frequency i called the memory company when i bought ram n it worked what they told me to change in the bios. hope this helps

Thanks. I'll see what they have to say.

np let me no what they tell you i had a problem with the memory when i bought mjine and got it fixed in a few mins

problem morph

I contacted both the mobo and RAM manufacturers. Neither was much help. They just said to double-check the type of memory I have. The Gigabyte folks said make sure it's not ECC, registered, or buffered. The Micron folks said make sure it's really Micron RAM. Like I said before, the timings differ slightly but the two sticks are the same maker, speed, size and not ECC, registered, or buffered.

and then . . .

I upgraded the CPU from Athlon 64 3000+ to 4000+, and things changed. Now, the bios recognizes all the RAM, but will not run in dual-channel mode. So, now I'm awaiting new RAM - a truly matched pair.

So it goes.

Since you should increase your ram anyway, I would say that you should 2 or 4 gigs of matching ram. I am sure that identical modules will all be "seen". For true Dual Channel operation, your modules must be identical in all ways. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back