BIOS problem on boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy broke his computer and is now tasking me with fixing it. He recently moved and after he set up his computer again, it is having problems. Mind you it worked perfectly fine before the move. I have gone through several troubleshooting steps, let me explain it all...

When you power up the computer, there is no BIOS screen. No post, just blackness. Case fans work, hard drive turns on, cd drive opens, so I know it is getting power. About a minute later, the desktop background appears with a random MS word icon, but thats it. No taskbar. Mouse and keyboard work, but nothing loads. The programs don't open, no ctrl alt delete. Just a picture for the background (yes it is a picture that is saved on the hard drive).

I haved unplugged and reset all the cards and cables to all the components, nothing changes. I thought perhaps the hard drive was messed up so I attached it to my PC and it works fine, windows loads and everything.

So what I am left with is the mobo/bios. Remember initial bios screen does not pop up, its just black until the picture shows up.

Any ideas of how to go about fixing this? I am going to try another mobo this weekend to see if thats the problem.

I just did that and the problem is solved. Can you tell me why that works (obviously it resets the bios) or why that problem might occur in the first place?

Thanks a lot for your help.

it could have just been bad hardware drivers or devices messing around/conflicting with each other, reseting the bios resets all the settings to do with your boot devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back