I have a
Hp desktop
1gb memory
ATI radeon x200 intergrated graohics card
200gb hd
XP SP2
Pentium 4 3.06ghz

This is the problem

I got a used grapgics card- an ati x800xl 256mb. The I uninstalled my intergrated one through device manager. Turned off computer. Installed the new card to my PCI-E slot. Then connected the monitor cable to the new video card slot. Turn on computer and............nothing! Black sceen saying "No signal.

I researched this problem. Went to BIOS then switched cards or slots had a option like "PCI, PCI-E, AGP. Figuring that I installed it onto my PCI-E slot i switched it to that option. But still no start up.

I seems that the intergrated card never goes off. I uninstall it but its still there. Cause when I restart my computer its still enabled.

Question

How can I fix this problem so I can get the new card to work?

am I supposed to disable or uninstall the intergrated one? (I uninsatalled it first)

If I disable it and it still dosent work, the new card, can I reinable it cause I don't want to mess up the computer?

Thank you very much

google003

Disable the integrated card BEFORE plugging in the new card. Turn off computer.
Let windows find the new card and install the drivers. Ensure your new card has adequate power. If your system is less than 450W, you may have issues.

thanks

thanks guys for your quick responses. How do I know what my power supply is? I'll try tedsters procces also. and unforunatly my new graphics was from a friend so no manual. So I won't know its power needs.

google003, when the video card says a min. that says the very min. and is recomended more, in this case I would say u need more powersupply. A good brand 400wat would be a whole lot better.

your power supply will clearly state the wattage on a label. Google PSU calculator and use a free tool to determine your requirements. Then add 30% to the results for cushion. NO power supply will deliver it's rated load. All lose efficiency due to thermal loss. Do not skimp on a PSU, buy quality. Bear in mind, older PSUs also have less power due to capacitor aging. A 2 year old PSU has around 15-40% less capacity if used 24/7

thanks

could you guys recommend one? Are they easy to install? Do you install in inside the the tower, or outside, the poweroutlet?

tigerdirect.ca

futureshop.ca

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back